Blues Band Name #2

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassmcgee, Oct 18, 2004.

1. bassmcgee

Sep 8, 2004
    There are 5 of us, young guys, 15 and 16, starting a blues band. So i figured, hows this for a band name....

The Flat Five.

Also, please could you give me some tips to help us spark song writing. We have the knowledge to write and play, but if you could lend us a stepping stone, or a starting point it would be much appreciated.

2. A Name's a Name-it's what you do with it that counts. As to songwriting, I remember being your age. Life is just one big p*ss-take, so start with that. One of the guys in the Band, doesn't matter who, starts a riff, beat, line, whatever at rehearsals, and you all join in with your widdles and chops until it sounds like something you can work with. You normally get one person saying "hey that BIT sounded O.K." Then you make up the FILTHIEST lyrics you can think of, have a laugh, then replace them with something reasonable. It takes a little while, but it works-honest.
    I gave the same advice to a bunch of young lads round our way, and they just supported us at one of our Gigs, playing almost a full set of original material. They have also been noticed by the Music Press, and are gigging regularly. (Find them at )
    Go for it, enjoy yourselves, listen to any other advice T/Bers might offer, and things will develop naturally over time.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

- Change your first name to "Willie" or the name of a large town in the South.......("Dallas", "Raleigh", "Memphis" are good choices). "McGee" would work too, as a first name.

- Become an alcoholic

- Eats hominy & grits daily

- Find a girlfriend who cheats on you.....consider shooting her but don't do it

- Buy a beater Cadillac....yellow or red...muffler must be rusted through

- Must have at least one gold tooth

- Shop for clothes at the Goodwill or DAV.....your first purchase should be some two-tone shoes (but not saddles)

- Start songs with the lyrics, "Woke up this mornin..."

- Pretend you're blind
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Aw, seriously - learn every "turnaround" you can find in blues music.

That's the "glue" of the blues, IMO.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Choose a 12 bar blues format in a key your singer or all of you can sing comfortably and then try out different rhythms, tempos, melodies, etc. Or have the bassist and drummer work together on a pattern, then let the guitarist improvise. The singer can try to put words to the music. You can even start with common blues patterns and try to change them up with your own special touches.

I don't know the composition of your band: bass, drums, two guitars, singer or bass, drums, one guitar, keys, singer or bass, drums, harmonica (harp), guitar, singer or what. Each different composition tends to develop different types of music all still within the blues genre, because each allows for different types of experimentation.

One thing I advise is recording your jams with a cheap Radio Shack recorder so that if you come up with something you all like or a few riffs or passages with promise, you can remember them and develop them some more.

Don't rush the process. The more you do it, the easier it will become. As for ideas for lyrics, look at the titles of popular blues songs and write variations on that same idea. Many, many, many are about failed love, but by no means are all. There are songs about being poor, being ill, having failed at anything and everything, disillusionment, frustration, boredom, loss, drinking too much (probably not a good idea for guys your age to sing about.)

Try to come up with lyrics that have a ring of truth for your age so you don't have to face the oft -heard crriticism of young blues players that they haven't "hurt enough" or "experienced enough" to have a genuine understanding of the blues. Johnny Lang and Kenny Wayne Shepperd had to endure much of that criticism when they were younger.

Remember there are happy, uptempo blues songs, such as "Sweet Home Chicago." You too can try out some of those ideas. Also, many blues songs kind of tell a story. You could tell one about a school yard bully or a teacher gone bad or some such or sing about a racy car you admire.

Lastly, let me congratulate you for wanting to start a blues band. I think it is just wonderful young folks still have an interest in this very special music. I wish you all the best of luck on this project. And remember, even if you have some setbacks and bad luck, put that feeling into your music.
  6. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I think "The Five Flats (In the Key of Db)" or maybe just "The Db's" (D-Flats) would be cool

Or maybe thats just me....
  7. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    The Flat Five, in my humble opinion, is a rather awesome name.