Blues Band wants to go ahead with gig without Lead Guitarist!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 51PRI, Dec 9, 2022.

1. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    We're a four piece, two guitars, bass (me) and drums. LG is sick and may not be able to play. LS is also a lead guitarist and in our shows probably plays 40% of the solos, and wants to go ahead and do the show. I know we 'can' do it 3 piece but it will not sound the same, or as good. I've voiced my opinion that I think we should cancel.

Am I right?

mikewalker and fhm555 like this.
  2. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I can't speak to the exact situation, not having heard and played with all the involved parties, but I must say that your attitude toward musical performance seems very brittle - like, if it's not all perfect and exactly the way we practiced it, we've got to blow the whole thing up and sit at home that night. Doing the gig as a 3 piece, you might come across some real interesting stuff. Not, however, if you're fixated on producing a zero-creativity perfectly-rehearsed performance where no surprises positive or negative are permitted. Me, I'd go for it and see what happens.

You know, we're not talking about a Mahler symphony here. We're talking about African-American improvised music where the whole history of the thing has been about taking advantage of the disadvantages. I think you ought to loosen up and spend more time listening and participating in the music rather than worrying about whether someone's playing six eighths notes there when the record has something else.

Matt-J2, 3Liter, daveman50 and 64 others like this.
  3. You know what this means. Bass guitar solos .

GrapeBass, gebass6, smogg and 34 others like this.
  4. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    Also, the gig is about an hour and a half away and the hours are 10-2.

I realize that blues is improvised music.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    Should I take my (guitar) pedalboard?

smogg, design, EatS1stBassist and 4 others like this.
  6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'd say play the gig.
    Sure, it won't sound the same as you've rehearsed it, but realistically who's gonna know?
    Not the audience, I'd bet.

randyripoff, gebass6, smogg and 21 others like this.
  7. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    I can't remember the last time we rehearsed, and the guys don't really want to learn anything new, anyway, especially not anything that requires actually learning anything or going outside their comfort zone. So it will be the same old crap only emptier sounding.

3Liter and murphy like this.
  8. Pocket Dave

Pocket Dave

Aug 5, 2022
    Dallas
    Sounds like you might be a little more than predisposed to getting out of it.

And you're willing to put the venue into a last-minute pinch because things may not be best-case-scenario?

You took the gig knowing the hours, how much travel time and any other complaints you might have about the band.

You've got enough players to play it.

Now play it.

While it might turn out to be fun, it's not likely if you convince yourself it's going to suck.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    FRoss6788, newwavefrank, gcb and 31 others like this.
  9. On the up side: more money for you

smogg, design, el jeffe bass and 13 others like this.
  10. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    From his multiple posts OP appears to be seriously discovery-averse. Musical discovery is most likely when you're NOT doing something you've rehearsed a jillion times so no surprises are possible. Go do something different for crying out loud! Challenge yourself! We're not talking about launching an Apollo mission, here.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this attitude from, a symphony player but one expects rock-and-rollers to be more open to trying different things and seeing what happens. I'm sorry to see that so many people have adopted this attitude of fossilizing the music in amber.

11. I enjoy the extra sonic space playing as a trio and I adjust what I’m doing (including playing bass solos). The other players also need to adjust.

But it doesn’t seem like this band will do anything different. Hopefully you can find some more inspiring musicians to play with.

12. I see both sides of this. I've played with some folks who are train wrecky and the bass player props them up. Yep that's me. That gets kinda old when you don't know where they're headed because they don't know where they're headed.

smogg, MynameisMe, HardNHeavy and 3 others like this.
  13. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    We’re a 5 piece, two guitars, harp, bass and drums. We’ve taken gigs that our lead singer/harp can’t make and called in a sub, we have a guitar player and a drummer who have been stunt doubles it’s both a challenge and a blast to go in not knowing what will happen. We’ve played missing a guitar too.

It’s all good , have a blast

14. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    For me, as long as the other guitar can handle the load, I'd be all over it. I enjoy the challenge of supporting solos on my own. @turf3 was a little harsh, but I agree with his basic sentiment - time to step out of your safety net and have a little adventure.

15. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Double stops and chords. More fills. Play a few solos even if it's just repeating the regular bassline. "I woke up this morning and __________." Say whatever you want. It's 1 or 2 AM and by that time in a bar, it's hard to conceive anyone will care what you say or play!

Ralph Manak and Nashrakh like this.
  16. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    Only you know what you'll sound like. How confident are the other two?

17. Bring in a keyboard player for the evening. If they haven't bothered to learn a new song since who knows when, there's got to be someone who can jump in. You might even find some inspiration in subbing in a new player, be that keyboards or another guitar. That assuming, of course, you can't make it worth their while to even take the gig.

IamGroot and vvvmmm like this.
  18. LiptonJigglers

LiptonJigglers

Oct 21, 2022
    Have a 3 piece rehearsal beforehand if possible. See how it goes.
    I can totally grasp your concerns but you never know, you may enjoy the 3 piece setting and the dynamics it brings.
    At the very least, you will know what the band is capable of doing in tricky situations.
    Give it a go and enjoy the experience.
    We have faith in you.

retslock likes this.
  19. Road Hat

Road Hat

Oct 9, 2008
    Go out and perform and entertain and have fun! You might even find out you sound better as a three piece in a blues-band context.

20. I think you’ll be surprised how fun a trio can be!

jerry, ArtechnikA, BlueTalon and 4 others like this.