Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blues bass book

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Nov 4, 2003.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    It's time for another book (I am a nOOb). I would like to look into blues bass. Any good suggestions? I have been looking at The Blues Bass Handbook and will probably get that unless someone can suggest something better.

2. Three others to consider:

1. Mike Hiland, Complete Blues Bass Book.
    2. Matt Scharfglass, Beginning Blues Bass,
    3. John Liebman, Blues Bass: The Complete Method.

If you want to know what contemporary blues bass is all about, get any CD by Wilie Kent. He is the world's greatest blues bass player and has received many Handy awards (the blues Grammy) for his playing. An excellent recent CD he played on is "Nora Jean Bruso Sings the Blues." In the interest of full disclosure, Nora Jean is my wife. Good luck with your choice.

3. i completly agree with Blues Basser

those 2 books are really good. and Willie Kent is amazing. I have Commin' Alive by him and... WOW:cool:

good luck
    have a good one

Rockin' on the ROCK
    Adam

4. bump !

5. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Hi - Thanks for the info.

I just got the Mark Epstein book and will get the Mike Hiland, Complete Blues Bass Book after I finish this one. The Mark Epstein book had a CD so I think it is better to start with than the others. However, the Mark Epstien book is a little too simple but a good starting place for me.

Thanks again.