1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blues Bass Players Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blues_bassist, Apr 20, 2009.

1. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Count me in also. Give me a number and I will wear it proud. Played my first juke joint when I was 15. Now at 54 I'm still thumpin the blues.

2. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    sign me up. i have been lovin playing in my blues band these last two years. we play trad blues, some r&b and soul, and we are up to 5-6 originals.

i was thinking about it a lot while following the recent covers/originals thread. the genre is about covers but you've got to improvise on them. and it seems that originals are well recieved. its almost as if the "covers/originals" debate is moot in the blues. maybe we just have a reasonable perspective?

+1 to jason ricci and the new blood. i did a blues fest in des moines that they played at as well. they were unbelievable. really transcended the genre.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I'm in!

4. +1!

You totally hit the nail on the head there. I spent 10 years doing garage pop originals....nobody but a handful cared.

Your comment was exactly what I was thinking when I decided I should join or start a blues band (ended up starting one). That and the fact that I had just about forgot how to play after ten years of day job/family distractions. I thought it was an ideal way to re-learn how to play, and to learn things I should have learned back in the day, but didn't.

:bassist:I'm having a blast!

5. Sure I'll join! Squier Affinity P-Bass with D'Addario Chromes, played through a 15". :D Sort of in two blues bands: one is John Mayer type stuff, the other is just beginning, but mostly blues. So really I'm a blues-rock bassist, but blues is where it's at!

6. babaseen

babaseen bass for M'Taboo Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Count me in...I'm playing blues every other Tuesday at the Strange Brew Tavern in Manchester, NH (been doing it for several years) with the Strange Brew All Stars. Been using a P-bass with flats lately but may switch to a fretless with rounds soon.
    --Tom

http://www.strangebrewtavern.net/

7. Based in the blues since '79 - I'm in!

8. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Wow - just Wow - awesome stuff there SMAK!

9. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Some of those tunes arent me im on Stormy Monday, also that singer has moved on we have some live vids here as well..We need to get some updated stuff..

http://www.myspace.com/madisonbluesband

10. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Here's the complete list so far.

Someone else is goping to have to assign numbers going forward - I'm going home now.

#1 blues_bassist
    #2 62Jazzbass
    #3 JohnFrancis
    #4 nickn
    #5 Dogbone
    #6 specter6A
    #7 Sleeq
    #8 derrenleepoole
    #9 mongo2
    #10 Freelancer
    #11 Santraginus
    #12 billoetjen
    #13 Stumbo
    #14 deepbluesuk
    #15 awall
    #16 Fenderjazz6823
    #17 bassflyer19
    #18 mlafrancis
    #19 reno88
    #19 bhubb3rd
    #20 lonote
    #21 main_sale
    #22 jbassbob
    #23 tlr1293
    #24 Saliboat339
    #25 dlb1001
    #26 smakbass
    #27 watspan
    #28 scottbass
    #29 thumpbass1
    #30 woodsideh
    #32 EBodious
    #33 lug
    #34 bassist4dalord
    #35 babaseen
    #36 Walter Ego

11. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Hi

Add me to the list. Currently between bands but doing a little sub work when I can get it. I really prefer not to stray too far from bluesy material.

12. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Thanks Scottbass and Stumbo for taking the time to give out the numbers! :bassist:

13. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Here's a question for the group. Over the years I've gotten into many "interesting" discussions as to what actually constitutes the blues i.e. when does it cease to be the blues and become something else? Up here in the Boston area we seem to run the gamut, everything from if it's not a medium tempo I,IV,V shuffle it's not the blues to any song you can play a blues scale over is the blues, to if it's played by a rock band it's not the blues (i.e. Aerosmith's covers of Train kept a'rollin and Big 10 inch record). Another good example a blues guitarist friend of mine considers SRV to be a rock guitarist with blues licks, not a blues guitarist.

So how do you define blues and what is a blues band? Try and keep this one civil please.

14. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I got the Left Off The List Blues...I'll take number 420 and a bottle of Boar's Head.

15. I'll take a number.

16. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Blues is a feelin'.
    Blues is a sound that you can listen to and say: "That's bluesy."

Aerosmith's covers, SRV's licks - they sound 'bluesy' to me, so - I calls 'em da blues! :)

17. Sounds good to me!:D

18. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    the lines between blues, rock, jazz, gospel, swing can get pretty blurry, indeed! I think it's up to personal interpretation for the most part. Many songs can be played in a blues style and many blues song can be played in non-blues style. i think the interpretation and genre-bending is what keeps blues fun, interesting and relevant in todays music scene.

19. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    so, i see that i am not the only one who sees the day job/family as a distraction, eh?

:D

but seriously, i too saw joining my blues band as a chance to discover the fundamentals i somehow missed earlier.

20. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    i am happy to be #32, but it looks like #31 got left out. maybe we can sneak someone in there?

also: scott, you guys sound tight. do you ever play down here in iowa?