Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blues, classic rock, and some numetal pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TJBass, Feb 9, 2004.

1. I have a 4string standard jazz bass that I intend to install a LQ BAII bridge and new pickups. I jam with two very different bands, one plays classic rock and blues covers while the other is original metal such as disturbed...Black Label Society...Chevelle. Although its maybe not in the numetal class thats what I call it!
    Anyways, I want to trade up pickups as well but I don't want to get stuck with a tone or sound that is going to drive me nuts when I play with one band but leaves me smiling when I play with the other.
    Anybody have any advice on a pickup that may fill the bill for both of these types of music without much compromise....
    Thanx in advance....

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Either EMG Vintage Jazz series, or Duncan Quarter Pound for Jazz bass.

Peace
    Nick

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    There may be several good options to go with here, but I was extremely impressed with the Nordstrand NJ4SEs that arrived in the Nordie NJ Deluxe 4-string that recently arrived. I spent some serious time with this bass last week giving it a good workout and the pickups were outstanding! :hyper: They're a split-coil, huncanceling pickup that really delivers when combining the best of old school tone with the versatility that most modern players need. They still sound like a familiar single coil pickup, but you don't have any of the noise and 60 cycle hum issues that traditional single coils have. Also, while they sound very "vintage" in that the mids are punchy, the lows are rich and phat, and the highs are clear and sweet, they still sound great for slapping and aggressive modern styles of play. They're not necessarily "hi-fi" sounding, but the mix of growl and snap might be what you're looking for.