1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blues favourites

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yonni, Apr 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    We’ve had the Fusion Favourites thread and a ton of Prog Rock threads. I daresay it’s been done before but how about a blues thread?

I’ve always liked Howlin’ Wolf and Albert King. I’ve also been getting into John Mayer’s bluesier stuff. Yardbirds/Clapton, etc. Is OK but not my favourite. I like my blues slow. Back in the day I used to go to a pub that had great blues bands every Sunday. It was the one place you could mix with Hell’s Angel’s and not feel threatened. Great bands too. I remember seeing Andy Fairweather Low there.

What got you into the blues, which are your favourite albums to listen to or play? Who do you think should make the blues legends list?

zon6c-f and Bruiser Stone like this.
  2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    The Blasters- Common Ground a collection of Big Bill Broonzy tunes...here's one of my faves.

3. getbent

getbent

Aug 20, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Magic Sam - West Side Soul!

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Albert King "Born Under A Bad Sign".

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  5. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    First blues I learned to play!

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'll admit, I got there via the Cream version first, but there's something about the original - that guitar hits me like an icepick in the forehead!

dasherf17, retslock, Rob1957 and 2 others like this.
  7. I think I was aware of B.B. King and John Lee Hooker as a young teen.

When I was 16 I drove my father out to do service on an oil rig in west Texas. As we were leaving Houston, the local Pacifica station played this whole album front to back:

I was instantly drawn to the "loose but tight" feel of the grooves and the overall energy of the playing. Still a favorite record 40 years later.

8. The Nighthawks

9. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    I’ve always meant to look into Big Bill but never got around to it. There are lots of albums on iTunes. Any recommendations of his?

10. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    No love for BB King, T-Bone Walker, Freddie King and Muddy Waters?

Low Down Brown likes this.

11. Nothing but love for those cats!

This should be required listening for anyone serious about learning blues bass styles.

BB_King-Live_at_the_Regal_%28album_cover%29.jpg

And this is a favorite from the latter part B.B.'s career:

dasherf17, TomB, petergales and 11 others like this.
  12. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    I saw a busker in 1968 and he played "Born in Chicago" and I was hooked and asked him the origin of the song.
    That Paul Butterfield album it is from is my favourite though it took me years to get a copy.

I was in my first band in 1969 and the guys wanted to play Hoochie Koochie man and Rock me and Shake Your Moneymaker. They had a copy of the very first Fleetwood Mac album and repeatred listening to that was my introduction to the recorded blues.

13. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    So many!
    I like me some Polk Salad Annie!

and of course some Junior Wells!

14. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Chris Cain, San Jose local legend. Seen him a number of times at jams and shows...always full of energy! He just released a new album, "Raisin' Cain". Sirius was playing a cut for the album, "Hush Money".

TyBo, Billyzoom and mikewalker like this.
  15. Yonni, RocknRay, mikewalker and 5 others like this.
  16. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Zeppelin's blues cover album (LZ1) got me into the genre but being English it was John Mayall who really grabbed my attention.

I have to say the blues/rock guitar indulgence of later years leaves me cold even if there were some stellar practitioners like Rory Gallagher.

When I think blues I think Taj Mahal, Howlin' Wolf, BB King etc.

petergales, lfmn16, kjp360 and 6 others like this.
  17. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    When I told our local record store owner that I wanted to learn about the blues after hearing John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, he handed me 2 albums : Robert Johnson, "King of the Delta Blues Singers," and B.B. King, "Live at the Regal."
    Everything I needed to know!

Rob1957, kjp360, Yonni and 7 others like this.
  18. In junior high, I bought Johnny Winters
    "Second Winter ". That encouraged me to seek out the old masters.
    Thanks Johnny!

Rob1957, kjp360, Yonni and 7 others like this.
  19. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Son House

dasherf17, TomB, Rob1957 and 9 others like this.
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Hello my name is:

Killing Floor

Get it?

Who do you think got me boxed into the blues? I have poured over my share of Chicago and Delta stuff since I was pretty young. But if I had to pick a single favorite it’s Howlin’ hands down.

dasherf17, TomB, roberts67 and 16 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021