Blues favourites

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yonni, Apr 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Led Zep did a great cover of a certain Howlin’ Wolf tune. I love their interpretation of several blues standards.

bholder and ficelles like this.
  2. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    You know we'll probably be burned at the stake by LZ fans for this thread :)

Yonni, mikewalker, digmeout and 2 others like this.
    oren, Low Down Brown and digmeout like this.
  4. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    This guy is pretty damn good!

As a bonus, his first two albums feature Steve Bailey on bass, and Greg Bissonnette on drums!

12BitSlab, strigidae, Yonni and 7 others like this.
  5. There were lots of great Blues musicians when I first was learning bass and they all impacted me.

Cream, John Mayal, Fleetwood Mac were the most motivating British ones.

I really think the best artist for me was Willie Dixon and I was fortunate enough to see him in a small venue at the time.

ED507DDE-5F2C-4709-91B4-6624718E037E.jpeg

roberts67, jwoiton, mdlewis and 7 others like this.
  6. Slim Harpo, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Robert Lockwood Jr., Gatemouth Brown ( tho he wouldn't like being classified as a "bluesman" ) Albert King, Albert Collins, Johnny "Guitar Watson.......

There's really so many greats , most of who were not known outside of their own region.

Here's a couple of Houston guys I got to know and play with.

W.C. Clark out of Austin is another player whose star should have risen higher.

7. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I saw him when I was working in Salt Lake City in '99. Great show! I got to see Guitar Shorty there as well.

5StringBlues and Bunk McNulty like this.

8. LOVE Shorty! That guy just smokes.

9. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Leo Lauchie on bass on Live at the Regal. He plays pretty much everything you need to know. If there's anything else, Jack Myers is playing it on this album:

TomB, jchrisk1, kjp360 and 5 others like this.
  10. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Otis Spann, Memphis Slim, Champion Jack Dupree, Dr. John, Professor Longhair ... I could go on. :D

kjp360, digmeout, Keyser Soze and 2 others like this.
  11. digmeout

digmeout Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Arizona
    One of my all time favorite albums.

kjp360, Paul New, oren and 3 others like this.

12. Oh man, Jack Meyers and Fred Below may be my favorite rhythm section ever.

13. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    This is one we do every time we play out.

14. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    Having grown up right in between the Mississippi Delta and Memphis, I was fortunate to hear an amazing cross section of blues artists. When i was a kid, I would fall asleep listening the blues shows on MPR. Got my fair share of Robert Johnson, Son House, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Junior Kimbrough, Bukka White, Bobby "Blue" Bland, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson, W.C. Handy, Howlin' Wolf, Mississippi John Hurt, Memphis Slim, Elmore James, Rufus Thomas, Pinetop Perkins, Booker T, etc. On more than one occasion, I got a wee bit inebriated sharing beers and burgers with R.L. Burnside. Rest his soul, that man was a mess! Never a dull moment when R.L. was around.

15. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006

TomB, digmeout and 5StringBlues like this.

16. This cut was written by one of my favorite people ever, Texas Johnny Brown. He played on cuts by Amos Milburn and Ruth Brown as well as backing Bobby Bland and Junior Parker live. He could play in a very traditional blues style but tended to go for more jazzy sounds.

Here he takes on an Aretha Franklin tune instrumentally.

I feel very fortunate to have played with him the last 9 years of his life. He won't ever be in any hall of fame I guess but at least he got his marker on the Blues Trail.
    fzkE0RTPAbe6bsbn-9PjdPVEoxfz4BmHKq7kedrTTe2q0-2aJCr8pLgjORAYfe7nxZn9gq3z0PHgCP1UfRlSqOacbpeMmpUx.jpg qA9J7E5KCfZXC5mUGfCM02hwxMYysdj8zZm9mJepU_2H_1h4r4StcIQwD8tzG-eekv9XHh0bjhuNQxcXax-o-QuMH4U0laqc.jpg Texas-Johnny-Brown.jpg

TomB, Kelly robinson, oren and 5 others like this.
  17. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Robert Cray - Right Next Door (Because of Me)

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldn't Stand the Weather

fretone1, DeltaTango and 5StringBlues like this.
  18. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    A blues band consisting of Detroit Police Officers came to my elementary school. From that moment forward, I knew there was something visceral and soul-reaching about that music.

The bass player had a red P bass. Worth noting.

BB King live at the Cook County Jail really helped me understand blues as a happening or storytelling and not just songs.

Kurt Cobain playing “In the Pines (Where Did You Sleep Last Night)” on the Nirvana Unplugged introduced me to earlier blues songs.

kjp360, mikewalker and 5StringBlues like this.
  19. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    For anyone who loves the blues, I have to recommend Steve Cushing's Blues Before Sunrise radio show out of the Chicago area. Steve knows his blues.

NigelD and 5StringBlues like this.
  20. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    Love me some Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown too.

Here's a slick, sick jam with him and a few other folks youn's might know...

TomB, Paul New, Bunk McNulty and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021