Blues favourites

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yonni, Apr 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DaveB in VA

DaveB in VA Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    Bass Player. Singer/Song Writer. Producer. Willie Dixon.

2. Tom Kinter

Tom Kinter Supporting Member

This always really got me....

3. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Muddy Waters of course.

Polish Thunder and RocknRay like this.
  4. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro

Bunk McNulty and mikewalker like this.
  5. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Fleetwood Mac in Chicago
    BB King The Thrill Is Gone
    Robert Cray

J R Knots likes this.
  6. Tom Kinter

Tom Kinter Supporting Member

then there's this (Mingus on piano, and RR Kirk)...

Low Down Brown and Bunk McNulty like this.
  7. Willie Kent: Long Way to Ol’ Miss

Kelly robinson and 5StringBlues like this.
  8. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Dude, thankyou for posting this. I just got done exploring that station and can't wait till Sunday! Luckily I can start listening at 10pm.

PWRL and 57pbass like this.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    This was my gateway to the blues.

Of the 3 Kings, this is my favorite. Love em all, but if i had to pick one...

Another favorite band

this is my all around favorite guitar slinger still above ground.

Low Down Brown and 5StringBlues like this.
  10. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Anything by harmonica player/producer Bob Corritore. Old school blues played with great skill. I was honored to be the bass player for him and Louisiana Red once when they played in Albuquerque.

TomB, dlb1001, 5StringBlues and 3 others like this.
  11. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    You're welcome! It's a fantastic show.

Datsgor likes this.
  12. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I got into the blues when I heard the Allman Bros. Live at the Fillmore album. That record knocked me out. When I looked at the song credits and saw Sonny Boy Williamson and T-Bone Walker, I started digging deeper and that led me down the road to the blues. I started hanging out at the local blues club where I saw Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Hound Dog Taylor, Bryan Lee, and others playing live blues. Once you get hooked on the blues, you got ‘em for life.

klaatu, TomB, jchrisk1 and 5 others like this.
  13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I went to college with him; he turned me on to Hound Dog Taylor and the then-fledgling Alligator record label, and thankfully siphoned me away from all the British poseurs.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  14. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Haven't heard mention of The Fabulous Thunderbird's, Johnny Guitar Watson, Duke Robillard, Greg Serrato, Keb Mo, Little Charlie and The Nightcats, Luther Johnson.

15. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Too many. Buddy Guy, Albert King, Eric Clapton... the list could go on and on.

16. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    His Fats Waller parody:

Low Down Brown likes this.
  17. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    The great classic blues players have been well represented in this thread. I haven’t seen this guy yet, but Joe Bonamassa gets a vote from me.

Quinn Roberts likes this.
  18. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I hear those more as parodies than interpretations. The only bunch of limeys that came close was the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac, and, as much as I hate to say it, the Stones copped the Chess sound fairly well in their earliest days. Perhaps the early Groundhogs as well.

Polish Thunder and Paul New like this.
  19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I worked sound in the Midwest in the 80s and got to meet a bunch of the old greats. Albert Collins and Gatemouth Brown were my favorites back then, but i also got to work shows with John Lee Hooker, Willie Dixon, Koko Taylor, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, the Kinsey Report, and others I can't recall. Melvin Taylor was coming up then, and Robert Cray came through town with an alto sax player I met again in Portland some years later and hired to play at my wedding.

There was some legit funky bass playing behind some of those acts. Amazing energy from those artists in their sunset years, still cranking out shows on the nightclub circuit after so many years.

20. Loved going to see & hear Son Seals, Lonnie Brooks, Koko Taylor, Fenton Robinson in the Chicago blues clubs 1974-1980 for a 5 buck cover & 75 cent beers. Every night you had your choice of great bands.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021