Blues favourites

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yonni, Apr 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    OooooooHHHH!!! Love me some Johnny "Guitar" Watson! Was actually jammin along with some of that the other day. That's one funky cat.

2. I opened up for Son Seals a couple times with my college band in the 80s. So great to hear him again! Thanks.

TomB, Yonni and 5StringBlues like this.
  3. dennis james

dennis james

Jun 30, 2018
    chicago area
    Hearing B.B. Kings THE THRILL IS GONE on AM top 40 radio in '69 was a revelation. I was 13 yrs old at the time and had never heard anything like it.

4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Bonamassa? Meh, too much yuppification. How about Christone?

Tyler Bryant...

Taz...

From my hometown...his left arm suffered birth trauma...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  5. Texaspandj

Texaspandj

Feb 13, 2021
    Heart Of Texas
    s-l400 (4).jpg

5StringBlues and DaDo625 like this.
  6. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Jump to 3:36 and funk out...

TomB, jchrisk1 and 5StringBlues like this.
  7. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    There’s lots of stuff that Jack White has put out that’s interesting, John Martyn

fretone1 likes this.
  8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    SRV's rendition of 'Little Wing' woke ne up to the blues, and I'm still a big fan.
    Along with The Three Kings.
    But all roads will lead you here:

9. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

West Coast blues - Tommy Castro

10. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Y'all speaking my language now. I like it all, from jump revivalists Roomful of Blues to Johnny Young and everything else. I like how the Fab Thunderbirds took a lot of their inspiration from the Excello greats, can't say enough about that band. Watched a show with Albert Collins, BB King, and Elvin Bishop all on the same bill, Filmore West, and I was already hooked, after that I was damnwell hooked.

Today is George Smith's birthday.

11. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama

TomB and 5StringBlues like this.
  12. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    This album was not supposed to be this good, but it is killer. I rank it almost par with Freddy King's best. And Johhny B Gayden, OMG!

TomB, Kelly robinson and 5StringBlues like this.
  13. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Yeah, I like Buddy Guy....a lot! Saw him in concert once when the Circle Start Theater was still open in the SF Bay area. He was absolutely an electric performer! He jumped off the stage and played his way up the aisle into the lobby and then came back in down another aisle playing all the time. My brother was with me there and he got a chance later to see him again in New Orleans. as soon as he saw him headed off the stage he ran to the lobby with his wife and Buddy guy played a bit for them, not 6-feet away. Then he played his way back up onto the stage.

Here's a cool song he did that has a good bass part to it. Check out the descending bass part after about the third verse.

14. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Lots of pain here...

And pleasure...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  15. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.

5StringBlues likes this.
  16. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    And then there was the performance at Farm Aid 2005 of "What Kind Of Woman Is This" with John Mayer that is definitely worth a look.

17. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    I grew up in the Pacific Northwest. I never heard any Blues played on the radio until 1964 when The Animals got quite a bit of airplay. Their version of "Boom Boom" by John Lee Hooker was a favorite. A bit later I really got into the Yardbirds version of "Smokestack Lightning'". Then I heard things like the Rolling Stones versions of "Little Red Rooster" and "I Just Want to Make Love to You". I had no idea where these songs came from until many years later. By the late 60s there were so many bands doing Blues which I tried to emulate still not having any real clue to who did them originally. One particular album I listened to a lot was Crusade by John Mayall which had some Blues covers with Mick Taylor on lead guitar.

18. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    And here's a John Lee Hooker song that he's done lots of different ways. This is how he did it with ZZ Top. One of my favorites.

19. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Here's a real classic basic bit of Mississippi Blues from the Boogie Master himself John Lee Hooker with Van Morrison blowing harp. This is a raw simple bit of blues with just guitar and harp (harmonica), no bass, no drums, just broken down to its simple core, but in my opinion, it really captures the nature of the blues - especially when Van Morrison and John start trading vocals.

Kelly robinson and 5StringBlues like this.
  20. DISCLAIMER: While I love the blues, I REALLY hate it when I hear bands just drag-ass this or that 12-bar, like they were doing Robitussin shots.

In the meantime, let's see what's on file, there's a lot out there:

A son of the red Georgia clay, T Graham Brown, who had the best name for his road band, 'The Rack of Spam'. Here's his take on a different 'Don't Go to Strangers'. The late Reggie White on guitar IIRC.

Don't Go To Strangers - YouTube

Country guys mined the blues in a different sphere than the many great Black masters. The great Merle Haggard with a song about feeling you just came up short, 'You Take Me for Granted':

You Take Me For Granted - Merle Haggard - YouTube

For a man that sang lots and lots of blues, this always stood out. Gregg Allman, from his first solo record, the Johnny Sandlin-produced 'Laid Back', this is 'Queen of Hearts'. Chuck Leavell on keys.

Queen Of Hearts - YouTube

But then, there's always Johnny Guitar Watson. And yes, it is 'A Real Mother For Ya'.

Johnny "Guitar" Watson - A real mother for ya - YouTube

I can never remember if the Red light or the Green light was my mind. As much as I love Mick Taylor's slide on 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out', I love hearing Keith and Woody on box guitars. This is what I mean about hating drag-ass blues, this almost feels church-like in it's rolling gait, firm.

Love In Vain - Rolling Stones - '95 - (de Robert Johnson) . vog.028 - YouTube

Just maybe, old guys DO rule. That Little Ole Band from Texas (Gruene, at the Gruene Hall in this case). It's ironic they're as old as the old Black masters they emulated, but then, so am I . . . .

ZZ Top - Brown Sugar (Live From Gruene Hall) - YouTube

But it doesn't get any bluer than this: Brother Ray is going to 'Drown In His Own Tears'.

Drown in My Own Tears (2005 Remaster) - YouTube

. . . . and even The Hardest Working Man in Show Business gets the blues when he falls off the good foot:

James Brown - It's A Man's Man's Man's World 1966 - YouTube

You'd think THIS would have given Chuck Berry the blues, to have Eric walk out and lock the stage down. Bravo for him giving Johnny Johnson the spotlight. This is one one of my favorite Clapton performances, and my favorite Berry song, 'Wee Wee Hours'.

Chuck Berry Feat Eric Clapton - Wee Wee Hours (St.Louis 1986) 1080p - YouTube

Yonni likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021