Blues favourites

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yonni, Apr 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    And then....there's Albert Collins - "I Ain't Drunk ( I'm Just Drinkin' )" That sounds pretty reasonable to me...

2. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    Couple more:
    Blind Willie McTell
    Tony “Little Sun” Glover - I can’t find anything on iMusic except for a how to play blues harp album. I’ve got an old Chess album of his that I haven’t listened to in about 30 years somewhere.

What about good blues labels? Jazz has Blue Note, ECM, etc. I know about Chess but are there other labels that are consistently good for early blues? I’m thinking up to the mid 60s.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    TomB likes this.
  3. Okeh Records is the first thought in my mind.

Cobra?

4. Buddy Guy (guitar), Bobby Buster (organ), Jack Myers & Willie Dixon ( bass), Willie "Big Eyes" Smith (drums)

TomB, Paul New and Polish Thunder like this.
  5. Matthijs

Matthijs Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    As posted before: all roads lead to Willie Dixon. He’s my all time favourite. But my first introduction to the blues was Cuby and the Blizzards. A Dutch band that played and recorded with John Mayall in the 60’s. This is them decades later. Only the singer, drum and bass are from the original lineup. Checkout the bass solo about 32min.

Basically Bob and 5StringBlues like this.
  6. Matthijs

Matthijs Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    And for good measure, some Willie Dixon

7. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    And we can't forget the Blues Women out there....here is Samantha Fish. She will just hit you in the face with the blues! No slow whining in this song and these guys really pull off the Blues Trio well!

and one more... "Gone For Good" Again, these guys really pull off the Blues Trio. There are no holes in their music.

DrThumpenstein, bholder and Yonni like this.
  8. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    As long as we're looking at Women singing the Blues, everyone is familiar with Allanah Miles "Black Velvet", but here's another even more bluesy-centered song off that album called "Hurray Make Love to Me"

9. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    TomB, 5StringBlues and Oddly like this.
  10. Nobis17

Nobis17

Dec 18, 2018
    New England
    I was listening to Completely Well by BB King last night. The thrill is gone was the biggest hit from that album, but dang the whole thing is amazing. The bass line on the third track (You're losin' me) is such a great groove.

R-1309342-1270321906.jpeg.jpg

TomB, 5StringBlues and Bruiser Stone like this.
  11. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    When I first started getting good at moving my fingers and keeping up with tracks I found John Mayall's Jazz Blues Fusion, which is much more blues than jazz, a great album. Plus it had the keys to the tunes written right on the album cover that made it much easier to tune to the tracks and grove along. ... Plus the great bass lines by Larry Taylor.

5StringBlues likes this.
  12. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Early Fleetwood Mac had some fantastic blues stuff...

And here's a favourite of mine from ZZ Top...

13. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Edited to comport with OP’s parameters :D

Dr Russell Linnemann at UT-Chattanooga got me into blues with his public radio show. I took his blues history course as an undergrad.

My favorite albums are:
    Albert King, Live Wire/Blues Power
    BB King, Live & Well
    Billy Boy Arnold, Chicago Blues from Islington Mews 1977
    JB Hutto, Live 1977
    John Lee Hooker & Canned Heat, Hooker & Heat
    Johnny Winter, Nothin’ But the Blues
    Koko Taylor, I Got What it Takes
    Junior Kimbrough, Most Things Haven’t Worked Out
    Junior Wells’ Chicago Blues Band, Hoodoo Man Blues
    Muddy Waters, Live at Mr Kelly’s
    RL Burnside, Too Bad Jim
    Rory Gallagher, Live! In Europe
    Taj Mahal, The Natch’l Blues

I’m not into a list of legends or hall of fames, but I will suggest some contemporary artists to check out:

Corey Dennison Band, Chicago (the Harlem Avenue Lounge is a cool, cozy venue)

Ghalia Volt, New Orleans but already touring (Belgian one-woman band, hands on guitar, feet kicking bass and snare drums)

Microwave Dave & The Nukes, Huntsville AL (Dave has done a lot of
    solo work of late but I imagine The Nukes will fire up soon and join him)

Watermelon Slim, Clarksdale MS (the Bluesberry Cafe down there has an Italian blues dinner every Monday night, and he is usually present)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Kelly robinson and Yonni like this.
  14. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Those are fine players, but Bonamassa is a monster on guitar, and he is helping to keep blues alive. He’s got serious chops and earned them with a lifelong study of the blues.

As far as “yuppification” goes, if it hadn’t been for John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, it might’ve taken me another 20 years to find all those blues masters that the Blues Brothers referenced and brought into popular culture. Not too many suburban white kids were digging on the blues back in the late 70s when they hit the scene. It exposed to a whole new generation to a world we had never seen, and brought a much wider audience to blues artists.

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Years ago I had to learn BB King's The Thrill is Gone for a gig.
    That got me listening to blues more.
    Over the years Robben Ford is a FAV
    and lately Joe Louis Walker.

16. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I had a buddy in college who turned me on the the Blues. He was teaching himself harmonica at the time, and he introduced me to a lot of Little Walter that quickly moved into Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, Slim Harpo, Jimmy Reed, and others.

Have to say my two favorites are Howlin' Wolf and Willie Dixon. I think Wolf has the best voice in the Blues, and Dixon is a giant for his song writing--and bass playing! I was lucky to see Waters perform two times in a small club.

TomB and 5StringBlues like this.
  17. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    Appreciated but those were just to get the conversation started. You’ve given me some new names to check out though, so thanks!

TomB and Bruiser Stone like this.
  18. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012

19. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    T Bone Walker - The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

5StringBlues likes this.
  20. From Super Session 1968.

Kelly robinson likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021