Blues favourites

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yonni, Apr 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. So for me everything SRV and double trouble just me favorite
    But what started me digging blues was Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush
    he was just killer

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    bholder likes this.
  2. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Nice to see a mention of the late and under rated Son Seals . His first album” The Son Seals Blues Band “ has a dramatic fish eye lens view of Son playing his guitar . The album is IMHO a blues classic for raw Chicago style blues and fierce playing . He was great in person too often playing at Speakeasy Pete’s in Central Sq , Cambridge where I saw him many times over the years . ... Kelly

5StringBlues and Paul New like this.
  3. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    I miss Magic Slim.

TomB, 5StringBlues and glennonbass like this.
  4. Initially BB King: Thrill Is Gone; didn’t even know what Blues was.
    Saw Allman Bros @ Piedmont Park 69
    Saw Hendrix: Byron Pop as well...72-84 I went Prog: Yes, ELP, Wishbone Ash, Kansas; some fusion but SRV brought me back to the Blues.

Add Gary Moore , Bonamassa ... can’t leave Blues alone.

Although I’m symphonicly trained, I prefer supportive bass rather than excessive diddle-daddle; to each their own.

Yonni likes this.
  5. Rob1957

Rob1957

Dec 3, 2020
    Jazz and “rock” bands like Cream, the Allman Brothers and the Stones got my journey started. I dropped into the blues hole and made my way thru Chicago and down to New Orleans and the Delta.
    So many great artists to like and listen to! Love me some Howlin’ Wolf and his London Sessions album
    Joe Bonamassa and Robert Cray for keeping the music going.
    Even The Blues Brothers for brings blues and RnB to the masses in the 80s.
    I will stop now before this grows into a list of blues and RnB musicians i love and appreciate...

zon6c-f and Polish Thunder like this.
  6. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    There is a killer guitar player in the San Jose area, Laura Chavez.

Was at a local jam and Laura showed up. None of the guitar players, in the house, wanted to get up on stage with her...they knew that she would smoke 'em!
    Laura has played with Lara Price, Candye Kane and a number of other bands.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    My favorite John Mayall Album. I’ve owned this as an album, cassette, CD, and digital.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF5238EBD06A540DA

8. ZonieBass

ZonieBass Send Lawyers, Guns and Money... Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona

9. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    I love Albert King but I love his funkier stuff (typical bass player lol)......Chump Change, Call My Job, etc....the stuff he did in his Tomato-era

5StringBlues likes this.
  10. Was on a business trip to Chicago in '85 and got to see Jimmy Rogers with Pinetop Perkins at a local club. Just stupid luck, didn't know any area bars. No Internet back then, 21 year old metalhead just recently gettin into the Blues (tired of seeing men in spandex) and stumbled into that one. Completely blown away by the atmosphere and energy of the place.

Even got to sit in at a Blues jam one night at a bar that was supposedly in the Blues Brothers movie. Long forgot the name of the place, too many lost brain cells since then.

Came back home and really started hanging out at the local Blues clubs seeing Mojo Buford, Lynwood Slim, RJ Mischo and a host of others.

5StringBlues, Paul New and jnewmark like this.
  11. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Ballston Lake NY
    Bonamassa

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Anything from Little Walter, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Slim Harpo, Albert Collins, Jimmy Vaughn, Kim Wilson, Big Walter Horton, Sunnyland Slim, Junior Wells, and, of course, Robert Johnson.

5StringBlues, Paul New and Rob1957 like this.
  13. jwoiton

jwoiton Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Dallas area
    This song was written by Willie Dixon who was a great song writer and a bass player

5StringBlues and Polish Thunder like this.
  14. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Lead Belly. Man, that voice.....

5StringBlues likes this.
  15. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014

I was seventeen and lustily tagging along to see the Magnetics, for free, on a Wednesday night, at the White Horse Inn in Ultimo. Terry Wilson, who fronted the band, was a luminary of prog rock here, in the early days — played with a band called Tully and got a gig in Hair when it first played in Sydney. He moved on and was soon immersing himself in electric blues, played a wicked slide, great soulful, gravely voice. He was a big fan of early Fleetwood Mac and Elmore James and he could really play. Consummate bluesy frontman. Liked a puff a little too much, lived the life.

Heartbreakingly, he passed away way too young and so the Magnetics were no more. Almost nothing remains today. Memories treasured. As fate would have it, I wound up playing, for the better part of a decade, with one of Terry's drummers. What a joy that was. Learnt lots :)

In my twenties I picked up an obscure Folkways record, at a local record store, took it home,​

That whole album got under my skin somehow. I can't tell you why. Ten or so years ago, after years without it, I found it online, at the Smithsonian. They knocked me up a CD — and happily shipped it over — which I still have here, tucked away. Funny but the track list's all wonky. Can't tell you why. That only adds to the charm :)

Beyond those foundations, I've run the gambit, pretty much. Different styles come in and out of favor but I do, to this day, have a real soft spot for blues music.

Found myself playing along to this, just the other day. Having a ball :)

5StringBlues likes this.
  16. It was Led Zeppelin (with their plagiarized versions of the original blues songs) and The Rolling Stones early stuff that got me into the blues. I started digging into the original artists and never looked back.

IMHO, I think there is "blues" and there is "blues rock". Both are great in my eyes in their own ways.

For strictly the "blues", here are three of my favorite blues artists:

Muddy Waters...

B.B. King...

Albert King...

Note: On Albert King's studio album "Born Under A Bad Sign", it is Duck Dunn playing bass on the record.

5StringBlues and Bruiser Stone like this.
  17. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    Here's a really good album by Paul Rodgers covering Muddy Waters tunes. A lot of different guitar players and great singing of course.

18. I love me some Thorogood; he never hides his influences either.

I always love when Jorma Kaukonen and Hot Tuna play their bluesy songs too.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters.

Master luthier Jim Mouradian was their bass player for many albums.

20. gtmalone

gtmalone

Sep 30, 2015
    Allen, TX

5StringBlues and Paul New like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021