Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blues Festival Gigs!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lonote, Sep 8, 2005.

1. My band, Cool Disposition, has had a very good summer. We played 3 blues festivals. The first was the innagural St. Paul Blues Festival in June with Walter Trout, Smokin' Joe Kubek with Benoit King and Roomful of Blues. The second, and most exciting, was the Bayfront Blues Festival in Duluth, MN from August 11-14. The Bayfront Festival is a major festival with 2 enormous outdoor stages and an acoustic stage under a large tent. The third was a smaller festival in Marquette Michigan over Labor Day weekend. This festival featured several local bands, as well as national touring acts Kenny Neal, Rory Block, Sean Costello and Thornetta Davis. We had a blast in Marquette...great audience, friendly staff and lots to eat and drink.

Here's a link to pictures from the Bayfront Festival. The photos of my band are about halfway down, under a man in a lime green suit (James Cotton), a guy in a yellow suit (Payne/Edmonson band) and a woman in a black, patterned dress (Ruth Brown). I'm the fat old guy with a Hamer CruiseBass, a cowboy shirt and a silly hat. It was incredible to look out from the stage and see all those people! They supplied the backline: an SVT classic and an Ampeg 8 X 10" which worked for me.

http://www.vividpix.com/bayfront05/index.htm

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Did you catch Eric Sardinas at the Bayfront?? That's one heck of a show...

3. No, we had a gig that night at the Bedrock and had to leave to set up. Everybody I spoke to said Sardinas put on quite a show. The act everybody was talking about was "Slick" Ballinger. He's a 21 year-old with energy to spare. He plays N. Mississippi blues and he's really something!

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I've seen Eric 4 times now, he is always incredible. His bassist has some serious chops as well. If you get a chance, catch his show sometime.