1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blues/funk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by pearcey, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Hi not sure if this is the right forum, but...

I play in a 3 piece blues cover band, I'm the bass player. We play traditional guitar-led blues; Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rory Gallagher, Hendrix. There are plans to write some of our own material at some point in the future.

All going really well, and I'm pretty happy. The Jimi stuff is pretty good, but the bass, while it is great to play, and I've still not mastered it on those tracks is still pretty much a p-bass flat sound.

I need to come up with a couple of songs of my own, and I'd like to have a bit more funk if possible, although the song should still be passable as 'blues'. Has anyone got any suggestions for a funky blues song?

2. Willow Tree by Albert Collins-from the CD "Cold Snap"
    Funky Bitch by Son Seals-from the CD "Live and Burning"

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Question: If you haven't mastered some of the songs you're already playing, why are you introducing new material that you have to spend time learning?

I suggest you master the tunes you have before moving on. How do you get through a rehearsal if you can't play the tunes correctly?

Sounds like a little wood shedding in order.

As far as a "funky blues" song goes, do you mean a blues song with slap bass in it or a song with a bass that is not a p-bass flat sound? If that's what you mean, it won't be the blues anymore.

Also, how can you write you're own tunes if your musicianship is so limited by your technical skills?

4. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    Albert King's "Breaking Up Somebody's Home" on the Best Of... Vol 1 disc, among others.

Sometimes titled "Feel Like Breaking Up Somebody's Home"

5. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    Spanish Moon - Little Feat
    One More Chance - Michael Burks
    Use Me - Bill Withers
    Wrap It Up - Fabulous Thunderbirds
    Beginner At The Blues - Coco Montoya
    Grits Ain't Groceries - John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers
    High Lonesome Blue - Joe Cocker

6. Sissy Strut - The Meters
    Thank You - ZZ Topp

7. Thanks for the replies; I'll have a look. No doubt that I need to practice more!

8. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Technical skills have very little to do with writing tunes. There have been numerous successful composers who barely even play an instrument. As for funky blues, check out some Freddie King and some Johnny "Guitar" Watson.

9. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008

Strumbo, you are brutal! I'm staying off your s*t list,

As far as advice, I'd love to her someone do Tmptaions "Psycadelic Shack" real driving tune...Want something with some stop time, how about Who's making love ( to my old lady).? ZZ Hil, easy stuff.

10. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    I should have put some :bassist: and :) in my post. Sorry if I came off too strong. I promise to be a kinder, gentler poster in the future. Mea culpa. :bawl:

11. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    The OP is wanting to both write and play the tunes. Maybe he can write the tunes but it'll be kinda sad :atoz: if he can't play them at rehearsal.

12. Dano59

Dano59 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Charleston Illinois
    Check out some William Clark or Rod Piazza. You could do a lot with there California swing style blues.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1, when I saw the thread title I instantly thought of Johnny B. Gayden.

14. Is that Gayden on Son Seals' "Live and Burnin'?

+1 to anything with Gayden on it.Look for releases on Alligator records as he was/is the house bassist for that label.

I know he's on Johnny Winter's "Guitar Slinger" playing some lowdown and funky lines...............

15. I suppose some of this goes down to practice technique - I need new stuff to keep me interested while I'm trying to perfect stuff I know already. It's just the way I need to work in my experience; not perfect, of course. The same goes for our band rehearsals, once we've been rehearsing Crossroads for half an hour we all need to move on whether it's concert standard or not.

Not so worried about slap, more about a sort of state of funkiness of mind; doesn't have to be p-bass, doesn't have to be classic blues. Just looking for some new ideas, really to listen to and play when I can. No offense meant to any die-hard blues players, and I hope the ghost of Robert Johnson isn't turning in his grave. Or wherever his soul has gone...

16. I've just started to make a compilation album from iTunes. That's an amazing bunch of songs. Hadn't even heard of half of them. Great.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's Snapper Mitchum on bass for the Live and Burnin' album, Gayden was on a later Seals live album 'Spontaneous Combustion'

18. Well, aside from diggin' into the bass a little more, since you mention Jimi - why not get the live disc of Jimi w/The Band Of Gypsys. Billy Cox and Buddy Miles were a much funkier rhythm section than Redding and Mitchell were. As a rhythm section they kept things a little more grounded and in the pocket, which in turn kept Jimi a little more grounded ( if that was at all possible ! ) That should give you some good inspiration. If you want to go out into left field a little further, check out some of Robben Ford's stuff w/Roscoe Beck on bass.

19. Hound Dog Taylor "Funky"

20. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    James Gang.

Heck, they were so funky they wrote 49 funk songs and only ever played the last two of them!!! :D