Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blues (-ish) suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassed dude, Oct 26, 2003.

1. hey all,

i play for almost a year and started playing rock/metal and resently tryed some slower, more grooving things (eg inxs 'need you tonight', Coldplay 'trouble', pink floyd 'antoher brick..') and now i'm looking for other same like songs and some blues to play.

so if anyone has a good suggestion please post it... (not too technical, also i can't slap)

thanx!

2. Hey, bassed dude!

Robert Cray's "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" is an easy to play Blues song.
    You might want to check that one out!

Volker :)

3. .

Robert Cray tabs?

anyone.

plz

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Check out the new Allman Bros. album, "Hittin' the Note". It's incredible and every track has a great groove. Most stuff by Cream kind of sits the line between the hard rock you've been listening to, and the grooves and jams it sounds like you want to explore.

5. The bass line in that Robert-Cray-song is very simple! I'm sure it won't be difficult to figure out how to play it just by listening to the song a few times! @ bassed dude ;)

6. Anything by the quintessential blues-rock band, Cream.

And some Jimi Hendrix. :bassist:

7. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    I'll second (third?) the Cream and Jimi suggestions, plus anything from Led Zep's first two albums would be ideal too. And there's always the Animals.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Check out early Stones albums - covers like Walkin the Dog, or tunes like Honky Tonk Woman.

9. Live At The Filmore .....Machine Gun, Voo Doo Chile....Who Knows....

'nuff said

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you try the Animals, choose their classic song "House of the Rising Sun." Also check out the Rolling STones. Many of their songs are heavily blues influenced.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Woofman - you're right - how the @#$^$^@^@! could I have forgotten them (we only do about 3 of them ourselves). The only question is - is your guitarist up to it. Stevie's licks are pretty sick.

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The reason I didn't mention my hero SRV and his bass hero Tommy SHannon is that the thread title asks for 'blues-ish" songs. To me, SRV represents pure Texas blues and there is nothing "blues-ish" about it. But maybe I misinterpret what the writer means by "blues-ish". I thought he meant having some traits of blues, but not being pure blues (such as Robert Johnson or Elmore James, for example.) I figure he wanted more of a blues-rock style, but the term would be open to interpretation.