Blues Jam - Fender CS Slab content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JMacBass65, Jun 2, 2017.

1. So at the urging of a friend I attended a local blues jam last night. As my Jazz is awaiting a replacement pickup due to a catastrophic failure of the neck PUP last Saturday, and I really wanted a Fender with me, I brought my fretless P.

Well, watching the house band I saw the bass player had an awesome looking CAR Slab P.

I decided to bag my fretless, which was a questionable choice for me anyway, playing unfamiliar material with unfamiliar people.

Plus - slab P Bass - need I say more?

Anyway, turned out to be a Custom Shop bass, he said something about NAM but I couldn't hear what exactly, maybe it was a NAM show bass.

Looked like a light relic job, and he changed the PUP to a Nordstrand. It sounded fantastic and was way comfortable to play. Neck was clearly beefier than I'm used to, but didn't cause any problems for me. Only change I would make would be to put flats on it. It looked AWESOME, but I'm a sucker for CAR. His rig was a Genz Benz Shuttle with a pair of GB single 12s. I gotta get me some single 12s to go with my GB NeoPak!

Had a good time - but realized that I really need to learn the proper vibe for Mustang Sally. :woot:

Yes, they went there.

Chain.jpg Chain2.jpg Mustang.jpg

2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Maybe he meant Vietnam.

"YOU WEREN'T THERE MAN. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE. I HAD TO FIGHT OFF A WHOLE PLATOON OF COMMIES TO SAVE MY BUDDY'S SLAB P BASS (*breaks down crying*)"

:wideyed:

Jim Carr, GregC and JMacBass65 like this.
  3. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

4. SarahBearaBass

SarahBearaBass

Jun 2, 2017
    Houston
    Cool deal man! Nice looking CAR Slab. Do you know if the Norstrand was hum-cancelling? I love the look of the the single, but love the voice and HC of the split coil.

Also, is that Buddy Rich on drums? :whistle:

5. LOL, sure looks like BR in that picture! But, sadly no.

Thinking back about the tone, I'd guess it was hum cancelling. Single coils tend to have a bit of "honk" to them.

OTOH - The dude who brought the Squire classic 50s SCPB (or whatever it's called) had more or less the same tone, so coulda been the amp settings....who knows.

And for anyone wanting that great SCPB vibe, the Squire does an awesome job of it, for under $400. I really need to grab one some day.

I'll ask the guy about the Nordy next week.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022