Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by wellspal, May 22, 2002.

1. In the spirit of jimmy smith recording with taj mahal, dr john etc also van morrison in san fran what's the best blues meets jazz albums. (or jazz meets blues)
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Blues and the Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson
    Kind of Blue - Mile Davis

Hang on! Just a minute - aren't all the best Jazz albums - Blues meets Jazz?! ;)
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think he means jazz-inflected blues. If that's the case, I heartily recommend Cassandra Wilson's "Belly of the Sun."
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    The early 70's live album "Jazz Blues Fusion" by John Mayall was cool. Blue Mitchell and Freddie Robinson were on it. I've also liked some of the Duke Robillard stuff that I've heard.
  5. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I vote for Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue" it is right on, you can learn a lot about bass playing and music from that LP (that's what came befor CD's for you young folks.)

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think that the types of things that you're looking for are more like, in no particular order:

Oscar Peterson
    Monty Alexander
    Gene Harris
    Most things on the Pablo label
    Groove Holmes
    Stanley Turrentine
    Grant Green
    Wes Montgomery
    Count Basie
    Jack McDuff
    Ray Brown
    Phineas Newborn
  7. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    How about a Ray Brown album called "Don't forget the Blues" pretty groovy.
  8. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    . . . and the quintessential "Parker's Mood" by Bird Himself -- slow blues filtered through the lens of jazz genius.
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Great list, Ray. Everybody, go out of your way to hear Phineas Newborn if you haven't. He didn't get the recognition he deserves. It's fun to watch folks' reaction the first time they hear him.
  10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    This is the kind of stuff I was raised on. And just a starter list. There were a lot of players who followed that path.

An interesting side note. Phineas's kid lives in Park Slope. He's a dancer/singer on Broadway. He stops out to my outdoor gig pretty regularly with his wife and daughter.