Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brungus, May 10, 2004.

1. brungus

Mar 24, 2004
    i was thinking of starting a band with one of my friends (we need to find some more people) and we were thinking of a blues metal kindastyle. like black sabbaths softer stuff, any other bands fall into this style of play? even stuff thats more bluesy is wecome.

edit: do you guys have any tips for writing bass lines to this type of music?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out Metallica's Load and ReLoad records that is the closest thing i have heard to Blues-Metal. :bassist:
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Led Zepplin is real bluesy. Page broke up 12 bar blues riffs a lot of times and make songs from that. There are soooo many examples, being blues is a foundation of rock I guess you could say it's already in there.
  4. Definately listen to the Zeppelin and take some pointers from Page and John Paul Jones....some of Steve Morse's older stuff "the Introduction" and " High Tension Wires" might help to influence and inspire you too, especially if you like a little (OK, a LOT) more technical playing ability.
    Lots of Luck to ya!
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

What about Jimi Hendrix? I would certainly put some of his blues music in a kind of metal context or forerunner of metal.

I also think you could take some of The Allman Brothers' work and move it more toward metal. You should also consider the work of Cream as at least a jumping off point.

I need to think more about this question, because I'm certain there are some excellent examples of blues-metal out there, but I can't remember them at the moment. I did almost say Faith No More.

I like the idea of blues metal. It sounds very appealing. If you can experiment to the point that you can do it well, especially if it seems to emerge as a readily identifiable new genre, I think you could be quite successful with the concept.
  6. clutch
    corrosion of conformity

Just look up "sludge" or "stoner metal" and you'll find tons of bands.
  7. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Definately Sabbath and Zeppelin, Satriani also has some bluesy stuff too.
    Can't wait less than 2 months to G3, wouldn't it be kool if they made a B3 :p
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, that's the genre/s that sabbath helped create.

I'm a huge Monster Magnet fan. Dopes to Infinity is a killer album.
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Monster Magnet is cool. I dig the pre Dopes to Infinity stuff. Dopes they started to sell out.
  10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    10 Years After were bluesy in a proto-metal way.
  11. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    For blues metal, I would say Down is the group to listen too.
    Give it a listen, I believe it is exactly what you are looking for.
  12. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Another really, really great sludge metal group was eyehategod. My favorite album by them was Dopesick.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I don't think writing a few catchy songs and producing your albums better is really selling out. :meh:

I dig all their albums.

For the sludge... I don't know how bluesy this is but check out early Melvins and Soundgarden.
  14. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Any of the 70s and late 60s hard rockers from Britain could be considered blues-metal.

Bad Company
    I think some Yes would qualify, maybe as jazz-metal or so.

I'd also suggest Pink Floyd. They aren't metal, but they do a lot of bluesy stuff buried underneath the keyboards and blurps and whirls. Kinda a different approach to the blues.

Hendrix of course.

Skynyrd, Allman, CCR, all did hard rock songs based in the blues.

Classic rock is pretty much blues, later classic rock is pretty much proto-metal, listen to classic rock bands!
  15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    cynic has jazz metal, thats the closest thing I can think of.
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Heres the thing though, Led Zeppelin/Cream/etc aren't metal. This is the thing that makes the term "blues metal" so difficult, the blues would take the edge off of metal and make them a stoner band or hard rock band. So it's rough.
  17. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Everything in rock and roll is descended directly from the blues anyway, so I guess it's all a matter of semantics.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ... and the minor penatonic scale.
  19. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Well, yeah, there is that.