Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blues players P-Bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BWB, Jun 22, 2001.

1. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    This is for blues players who use the P-Bass as their main axe.
    I have Lace Sensors in my '90 P-Bass Plus that I have finally decided need to go (no need to rush into this, right, it's been 11 years I've owned the bass). What I want is: 1) passive
    pickups 2) Enhancement of the natural tone of the bass,
    particularly the high end. I don't want a snappy, trebly sound - my motivation for changing them is additional output with WARM blues tone from the D and G strings. I am satisfied with the low end tone. I use no effects - the bass goes right to my bass rig in its' various permutations. If you are a gigging BLUES bassist, please answer. Nothing against other genres of music, but blues players will understand
    exactly what I am getting at. Please?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again... The stock passive pickup in my MIA '97 P-Bass is flat out the best sounding passive P-type pickup I have ever heard. Works great for blues, even though I'm not in a 'Blues' band anymore.

HTH
    -robert

3. I'd think Fender pickups would work pretty well.. Musicians Friend sells the same pickups that Fender uses in their '62 reissue Pbass at http://www.musiciansfriend.com .

4. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    My personal favorite is the Bartolini 8S. It has the characteristics you say you're looking for. Warm tone, slightly more output, just right for the blues, in my opinion.

5. My prescription:

1 x Fender American, American Standard or '62 pickup.

1 x Sadowsky outboard preamp which will enhance, clean up, warm up and generally make your bass sound exactly the same except much much better.

1 X set of TI jazz flat OR D'Addario Slowound strings, depending on taste.

Taken three times a day, you will find your sound becoming what you want it to be almost immdeiately.