Blues Punk; could it work

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AltIII, Mar 24, 2003.

1. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm thinking about starting a band that intermingles the blues and punk music. I figure it will have the general laid-back feel of blues, and the instrumentation will be typical of a small blues band. ie, bass, drums, organ/piano, and maybe jazz guitar. But on top of that, it will have a punk edge to it and use lyrical matter common in punk. I think something like this could work well in small intimate venues.
  2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you're into it, it will work.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hardly a new idea: have you heard Jon Spencer Blues Explosion? In fact my old band the Hubcaps was doing stuff like that back in 1985.

Go listen to some Fat Possum artists, they may be old black guys from down south but it's hard to get more punk than T-Model Ford or R.L. Burnside!

Also, check out Hound Dog Taylor.
  4. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    CRUD!!!! It's hard darn to find new stuff to do. Grrr, I hate doing stuff that's already been done. Anyways, those are mostly blues musicians doing something more contemporary right? I'm talking about me a borderline punk doing the blues.
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like you wouldn't be terribly far from the psychobilly genre, either. You don't HAVE to do music that has never been attempted before in order to be original - in fact, having a niche to fall into can help you find audiences and opportunities.

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Get over that - everything has been done.

Oh, well now that's different - sinse it is you and you are borderline punk, could be totally original.

I say give it a try - if it feels good do it.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, Jon Spencer is a punk playing blues. He used to be in Pussy Galore and Boss Hog.

T-Model, Burnside and Hound Dog (RIP) are/were just gnarly 70+ year old guys who play incredibly primitive music. It's very much NOT contemporary, but it's raw out of tune and out of punk.
  8. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I know that everything else has pretty much been done. I just don't want to get into the type of niche were people keep thinking "Oh another one of those" I mean, I'm pretty confident that my songwriting abilities will keep anything I do fresh, but it's still a bit annoying to know that an idea I had wasn't really my idea.
  9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i think the band "Treat her Right" covered some of that ground too. One of the better shows i ever saw in the late 80's and with no bass player(used "low" guitar) and a drummer w/ only 1 drum! awesome harp player too! never liked Morphine, though
  10. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    now the difficult part is finding a guitarist, drummer, and organist/pianist who are either blue musicians and are willing to play punk, or punk musicians and are willing to play blues
  11. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Thaz what i was gonna say... My band accepts teh fact they we aren't new, we aren't original, adn that we just ahving fun making music! :) Also.. Laid-back punk??? Isn't that an oxymoron, lol!:p
  12. Thor

Yeah, that will be hard, most blues guys I know are so into the blues, they won't even think of anything else. Likelier to find punk players and twist them. Likeliest is to find guys who can play anything, and develop their sound.

'cause it goes to eleven! That's why...
  13. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I don't care if it has been done before, I will never accept being unoriginal, what's the fun in being just like next band? Laid back punk is all I could think of. I mean, it's like blue or lounge music, but the lyrics arn't typical blue lyrics. Besides, I'm a white boy in chuck taylors and messy hair, I can't get away with doing straight blues.

Ahhh screw it, I'm just gonna have a punk band with an organist. It's been done before but EVERY-D***-THING HAS BEEN DONE, AHHHH! At least I can write songs that are original...while I still can.
  14. Thor

There really is no need to define a category to fit into with your music. Just play what you like, put as much effort as you can into it, and buff it up nice. Let somebody else worry about what it is.
    For you. it's your music and if you write it and produce it yourself, with your own sound, then it will be fine. And definitely, not something that has been done before, if it is your original work.

Reminds me, years ago, Van Morrison was criticized for being 'too much into his own music'. I think that's a good thing, he sure doesn't sound like anybody else.

Incorporating blues into your 'borderline punk' is the type of trans-genre thinking that really develops style. Just don't set any limits for yourself, limits are not a good thing in music. Unless you want to be limited ... I sure don't.

Take care and good luck with the project.

But does it go to ELEVEN?
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ahem: Bluegrasscore

Mike Watt's Contemplating the Engine Room is blues/punk/psycadellic/rock check it out, it's bitchinassrad!