Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blues, Recording And Soloing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heath_the_great, May 16, 2005.

1. well, i got a call from the drummer from one of my jazz bands today and in 3 weeks he wants me to record a blues album with him, the guitarist im in my 3 other bands with and another guitarist...

so ive decided im gonna use my pbass, i should be borrowing an ampeg preamp when im gonna record and im gonna try flatwounds.....

any other tips for recording, before ive just used the jazz and we just floated a few mics in the room...

also any tips on soloing on the blues, i have no troubles soloing playing jazz and funk, but blues is giving me a little trouble

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I've always found blues to be easy to solo in, because of this: When all else fails...just use the pentatonic blues scale.

3. Can I getta AMEN!............ :D

Seriously, there really aren't that many opportunities for a bass solo in blues, and then they are usually only 4-8 bars long. I favor pentatonic blues, and Mixolydian works also. To get the "bluesy" sound work in the b5 and b7.

When all else fails I've heard that the "Ginandtonic" scale helps too. :D (very bluesy)

..............Jim

4. i was talkin to my drummer today, they wont really want me to solo coss theres gonna be two guitarists, so thats fine by me :D

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you can solo in jazz or funk and can't solo in blues you have a serious problem :rolleyes:

6. If you solo in blues the same way that you solo in Jazz or Funk, you have a way more serious problem................

"Terminal Wankeritis" :scowl:

..............Jim

7. what problem would that be?, i mean, everyones different, they;re better at some things than others, i consider myself to be an average all rounder..but i just cant solo, well i can, just not very good compared to playing funk, jazz, dance, pop or hip hop...i dont like soloing all that much anyway, i just wanted to cover my bases in case i was told to thats all

8. sort of doesn't make sense- I thought jazz and funk are based on blues, (scales and form). Hence, if you say you can solo over jazz and funk, well automaticly you should be able to solo over blues. ;) :meh:

9. theoretically yes....but i just cant do it, good at least

just like geddy lee cant slap, you'd expect him to be able to, but he cant