1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blues Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    IYOP what is the best Blues Rig out there these days.

Classic 4 string Bass Playing.

Small (not tiny), compact, lightweight, yet powerful and warm.

I'm taking head an 4x10 or smaller. No SVT Heads and 8x10's.

Venue size maybe 500 to 1,000 people and somtimes smaller.

I feel kind of funny with the Fancy Smancy SWR Marcus Miller Preamp and a 2600 watt power amp for Blues Gigs.

It is nice though I may just have overkilled things a little. :D

Maybe a Thunderfunk 750 would be more reasonable on top of my 4x10 SWR Goliath IV.

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    How about some 12"s, and a tube head? Maybe the new Peaveys?

3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I use my Markbass head into an SWR3 410 cab for blues band practices and it really sits nicely with my Jazz and Telecaster passive basses. Using the speaker emulator (VLE?) on the amp makes it easy to get close to that early blues/tube tone. For gigs, though, I always use my Mesa 400+ into a Berg NV610 - this is a surprisingly mobile rig, the Mesa is the lightest high power tube amp I have come acroos and the Berg is very mobile, shifts easily. That said, it would not bother me at all to use the Markbass/Goliath for a gig - I am confident that it would cut it easily, I just like the Mesa/Berg combo better.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Havent see any tubes heads from PV will have to check it out.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

I owned both a 400 and a 400+. Very nice amps indeed.

I dont think most of the Markbass amps have enough arse for my liking.

I have a dang pretty nice rig just thinking out loud.

6. jbassplayer

jbassplayer

Jul 30, 2008
  7. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Either take your rack or the TF750 or even a TF550 would be great... just enjoy what you take!

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I dont have a TF750 but I would be glad to take a donation to the cause. :D

I definately need to make me a smaller rack. I have some nice stuff no doubt. I'm using a 5 space rack I built. I installed my Art Multiverb III in there and it does work really well with the M2 but I doubt I'll need this kind of stuff with my Blues Band. Occasionaly I do some other gigs but that is rare.

I think I'll build me a 4 space rack out of Aluminum and make it smaller and simpler. Smaller and simpler just seems more appropriate for a Blues Gig.

The dang thing does sound good though.

I know I've plastered this thing all over these pages but here it is.

SWRBassRig_1378.

9. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Put a Fender pre in that rack and be done.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    OK that is possible.

I kind of took my on thread off topic sorta kinda.

Now back to the thread title.

What is the Ultimate Blues Bass Rig?

Would there be a difference in a Jazzy Dance Band Rig and a Blues Band Rig?

Should a traditional Rockin Blues Rig be all Tube?

11. jbassplayer

jbassplayer

Jul 30, 2008

My idea of a "jazzy dance big band" sound would be a lot cleaner than the sound of a traditional blues rig. I would definately say that the "traditional blues rig" would be all tube, you know, for that wooly warm sweet tone. I'm sure that you could just get a really nice tube preamp in your budjet, which I think would be suitable for both jazzy and blues tones. Good luck on your quest for the ultimate rig!:)

12. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cool.

The SWR Preamp I have has two 12ax7's in it.

The rig I just got rid of had that wooly sound (SVT3PRO into the SVT 4x10 HLF Cab). It was too wooly though. Not tight enough.

Mostly just wanting to discuss the subject. I dont think I'm planning on running out and getting another rig. Just thinking about it.

13. I play in a blues band complete with horns.

The best tone that I have tried thus far is my Trace Elliot into an old Peavey 2x12. I just really dig the lo-fi tone.

That is not what I gig with though... for that it is either the Peavey Firebass or a QSC with either a Peavey bassist or a Sansamp Para preamp into an Avatar 4x10.

My gigging rig is by far NOT the best blues rig, but it is the most convenient and reliable. :ninja:

The Trace and Peavey box just sound "authentic" it is pretty hard to explain.

Ox.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Why dont you gig with them then?

15. Well, I just got the TE out of the shop, so I want to make sure that it is "road ready". The Peavey 2x12 is just a monster to lug around. I am guessing that it must be about 80lbs or so and very unwieldy.

The fact is that I go straight to the board at the gigs, so I really need a decent preamp that can throw a 1/4" out because of the bands setup. All of the gigging heads can, the TE cannot. I do have an adapter... but why bother. So I guess it comes down to laziness. Besides, the cab is just for me. The PA is for the audience.

We have a show this weekend and I will probably use the Firebass. For the shows on 10/3 and 10/4 if all goes well I would like to start putting the TE in the rotation (I guess can handle the 3oz. adapter :cool:)!

Ox.

16. jbassplayer

jbassplayer

Jul 30, 2008

17. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    playing both styles regularly....i'll have to repsectfully disagree. i find the opoosite to be true about the sound.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This doesn't meet many of your criteria, but, it could be the ultimate blues rig.

AggieTB.

19. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    ugly and sexy all at the same time :cool:

20. lowdownwalt

lowdownwalt

Mar 23, 2008
    BC Canada
    Yes Sir...