1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blues Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 13, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh, you guys wanted to see the ultimate blues amp? (WARNING: Gratuitous rig pic coming, but I'm not near as bad as Munji ;) ):

[​IMG] Free file hosting from File Den!

But really, I see no reason why the Marcus rig wouldn't do you just fine. Blues players don't stick to Fenders and SVT's these days like they used to. They do, however, get stick if they bring a 6-string ;)

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow

are you single? :hump:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, and neither is my rig ;)

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I never get tired of looking at your rig - it's damn hot. Post it even on threads that have nothing to do with rigs.

5. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I used an Ashdown ABM head with 2 Ashdown 2x10 cabs with my Roscoe Beck IV for years in my blues band, now I'm using a P Bass with an LMII and Schroeder 2x12, both work absolutely fine, except that new rig is smaller, lighter, louder and of course more portable.

PB100011.

P9080001.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Nice Rigs Guys. Very nice all.

Jimmy's Rig is certainly wins the Classic Blues Rig for sure.

Love that Scrhoeder Cab. At some point I'm going to have to get one of those.

A Thunderfunk TFB 750 would go nicely atop a Schroeder 2x12IMOP.

The Aguilar stuff seem very very nice.

A Mesa 400+ a top acouple of those Schroeder Cabs would be a nice Blues Rig all be it a heavy one.

I used to use a 400 back years ago on top of two Mesa 1x15 Road Ready Cabs with the EVM15L's in them with no tweeters. Very nice Blues Rig.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Just about anything will do - tons of guys doing the Blues deed with 30-year old abused Peaveys and doing it well indeed. Just don't have a tweeter that's louder than the woofer. Even Johnny B Gayden at his snappiest doesn't do that.

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Thank you Mike. That is very nice of you. :bassist:

9. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    As JimmyM and greenboy have pointed out, when playing Blues the rig doesn't really matter. I'm often surprised at how many players think that a certain speaker size, rig configuration, or tubes are necessary for the Blues sound. I use cabs with 10", 12", or 15" speakers depending on my mood. Small amp or an amp capable of mega-watts. It doesn't matter. Our band sounds the same...Bluesy. As long as your rig has enough volume for the situation, just focus on the music. Blues bass comes from the inside of a person, not from the gear. This is what I played yesterday and will use it again today just because its already loaded up. It kills. A sound and tone to die for. Cheers. ;)

ImportedPhotos00256.

M. M.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I agree. I barely turn my Tweeter on in my SWR Cab. The HI FI sound just dosnt fit in with Blues. Suprisgnly the SWR Preamp isnt a very Bright HI FI sound unless you EQ it to be. With the Trebile Control on about half way it isnt bright at all which was a pleasent suprise.

I used to have a PV Head forget which one but it had the Blue Knob Ends. It was something like a Musician or something. I used it with one of my Boogie 1X15 Thiele Cabs. Sounded great but didnt quite have enough arse.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well that is the question. Does it matter? If you are solely doing Blues do you need a 5 string bass with a 4,000 watt head?

I think you can use a7 strinp bass with a 9,000 watt head and a bank of FX but it isnt required.

Just asking not doing anything in paticular.

Oh and the PV was a Mark III Bass Head.

12. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Of course, on the basis of sheer 'Blues' charisma, JimmyM's Ampeg rig wins in the glamour/beauty category. :)

M. M.

13. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I just don't see blues rigs as different from any other rig really ...

This my friend Neal Jones with the nationally known Eric Gales band they play about as cool a brand of hi-octane blues as there is going and he uses nothing but modern gear.

Mojoneal.

:) ... Photo taken at club 152 on Beale Street in Memphis "Home of the Blues"

14. Oraflora

Oraflora

Apr 18, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    I use an Eden WT 800 and Eden 410 XLT - great, clean sound.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Is it me or is his Bass upside down?:bassist::ninja:

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    He plays it upside down.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Left handed upside down. Can you say Jimmy Haslip?

18. Why not use 1 channel of your power amp instead of bridging it?

19. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

Yeah it is upside down ... Eric plays that way too

EricGales.

Eric.

;) ... Not only that but Neal can play it strung either way makes no difference

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Bridging the Power Amp gives more clean headroom than using one side. It clips sooner using one side. It's not a bad thing to use one side, I just get more headroom. My cab will take more than the Power Amp can put out out on one side. If I have learned one thing recently it is that it's not all about the numbers. The Amp puts out 750 watts per side at 4 ohms and the cab is rated at 800 watts but I get way more power without pushing the cab to hard running it bridged.