1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blues Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 13, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm so ugly, I have to have a pretty amp ;)

2. For outdoor shows/festivals etc. it's the Thunderfunk 550b, Bergantino HT210 & HT115. Just perfect for every situation.

For clubs, I lose the HT115 and just go with HT210. Soundmen like me better then! Sometimes if the club has no PA or not much of a PA I'll add a Bergantino EX112.

This gig pic was with my funkier unit Tornado, hence the custom Kubicki.
    On trad blues gigs, it's a Fender Jazz, Precision or my Lakland Dark Star DLPII.

Attached Files:

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I use my Roland DB700 combo for a Blues band I've been in for two years now. 300 watts with a 15 and a tweet, 3 different amp models built in ( ss, tube, drive ), and the best built in compressor I ever played through. Of course, this is a strict Chicago Blues band, so we don't get real loud, small clubs, 50 people or so. The Roland gives me all the options I need with eq, especially when I want to get the B15 tone, ( instead of actually using my B15 ! ) with some good punch. Whenever we do the odd Albert Collins tune, I can do the funky Johnny B bass thing with minimum dial twirling. All in all, it's the best sounding combo I've ever played through, but especially good for low key Blues band situations.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

I tend to agree.

You have the cab:
    A Goliath is a perfect blues club cab, loud and with that totally punchy
    quality you must have--and still capable of delivering the low end if
    you need it. :bassist:

Power amps are power amps, only some are a lot lighter than others. :ninja:

All you need is the Tube Pre. I'd say a Fender TBP-1 is perfect for
    blues or old school tones (though not just those). The TBP-1 is a good
    warm tube pre--but not cheap.

However, have you considered going light weight? Perhaps a Shuttle
    6.0, Markbass LM II, or the new Gallien-Krueger MB2-500 combined
    with a couple of Epifani UL112 cabs? I am. You may find yourself
    feeling that way, as I bet your current rig is close to 175 lbs total.

I am shlepping a 92 lbs Goliath II, a 58 lbs Epifani T-210 NYC, and a 75
    lbs rack with a Crest CA-6 in it. This is a great sounding rig, and a lot
    less of a bother when I only need the t-210, but it is all heavy. (total = 225 lbs)

I am not suffering from back pain, I'm just sick of carrying it around
    several times a week. Also, it is a separate carry for each component. :eek:

Is weight a factor for you?

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Goliath IV 4X10

Dimensions 23"W x 25.25"H x 18.375"D,
    Weight 89 lbs.

SWR Marcus Miller Preamp

Dimensions Height: 3.5 in (8.9 cm)
    Width: 19 in (48.3 cm)
    Depth: 11 1/8 in (28.3 cm)
    Weight 13 lb (5.9 kg)

Yamaha P5000S Power Amp

Dimensions (W x H x D) 18-7/8" x 3-7/16" x 17-15/16
    Weight 26.5 lbs

My Cheapo Road Runner Rack

Probably weighs 5 pounds.

Total 133 Pounds

Weight is not really the issue of ths thread though I do belive simple is appropriate for Blues Gigs, good tone is a must as well.

I have plenty of good tone happening here so that aint an issue. I couldnt see getting rid of my Preamp for something not near as nice.

I just was asking the question is there a difference in a Blues Rig and any other?

Not running out and changing rigs or anything. I think I have said that several times in this thread.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I should post what I have in it's new rack.

SWRBassRig_1400.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I understand. I was just wondering if you have been considering lighter...BTW, it is a great rig you've got there. The Yamaha power amp is quite light already.

I must also add that I think any good rig can do blues (as others above have said). It is just really the musicianship and judgement of the bassist that will drive the band AND have a tone/volume that sits just right for that band.

8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I played a gig last night with one of the better blues guys in town. We were at a small place and I used my B-15n.
    My GOD that sounded great.
    Everyone thought is sounded so warm and right.
    Great amp for a small club or when extensive pa support is there.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Agreed.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cool.

I think a lot of the Gigs I'll be playing with the new Blues Band , first I'm supplying the PA (since I have it) and second the venues appear to be small Blues Bars spread around the Southeast. My full PA is plenty large enough but I'm thinking of going to a 1,000 WATT Yamaha PA Head with a Couple of my Comunitys for the PA as opposed to 4 Mains, plus Monitor Cabs, a 32x8x2 Board, and huge rack.

With that sceneario in mind I may need more arse out of my Bass rig which ends up being a Catch 22.

Hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

11. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think that the ideal blues rig would be a junky old Silvertone amp that sounded like an Ampeg V4B. I don't have such a thing.

Here's my blues rig:

GT-Ag-BanNd.

I really like this Groove Tubes preamp, even though I'm not a very devoted tube guy and was never a fan of SWR amps. This old GT pre sounds great, though.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    OK I'll play some more.

How about a Mesa Boogie Bass 4oo on top of a Mesa Boogie 1x15.

That would be a classic Blues Bass rig would it not?

Not talking about the Bass 400+ but the old Bass 400.

13. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I heard a guy killin it with a Hiwatt guitar head and 4x10. When the power stage started distorting it was amazing.

ALso heard a cat in Austin with an Ashley preamp and power amp (ss) playing into what I believe was a mesa 2x15 modded with after market speakers.

I played with a Stewart 2.1 and Alembic F1-x and loved the sound I got. With an Avatar 2x12 we rarely put me through the PA.

Part of the answer to this question may depend on whether you come out of the Cream school of blues, or at least dip into the Bruce pool on occasion. That sort of melodic, lead bass thing can use some distortion. I used a Tech21 Double Drive, which got me where I needed to go.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Aguilar SC500

Two DB 1x12 cabs

Eazy to move.
    Plenty of power.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    We are doing everything from Old Cream to Clapton to Albert King to SRV to Originals and much more. I have just recently started playing with these guys and my first shows with them are in Nov.

The rig I have now is definately better than the Massive rig I had before. Since I just had surgery I havent had the chance to reherse with my new rig yet (it's killing me). Hopefully we can reherse in a couple weeks or so.

Just mostly thinking out loud.

Something slightly smaller with a good fat round sound would be good. I'm not much into distortion but am into Melodic Solos over some of the Jams. I'm definately a Jack Bruce fan. I used to listen to his later solo stuff all the time.

A good 15 Cab might be nice, round, warm and fat. A set of Tubes pushing them might be good as well. No cash for me at the moment though. If I even entertained getting an additional Bass rig I would have to let go of some of my Guitar stuff.

I do have a couple of custom made Telecaster Guitars and a Boogie Mark III Combo but I would hate to part with anything more than maybe one of the guitars.

Just dreaming about other gear and at the same time asking the question about a Blues Bass rig as opposed to any other.

If I did step into something else it would have to carry itself with no Bass in the PA.

16. lowdownwalt

lowdownwalt

Mar 23, 2008
    BC Canada
    Here's my little blues rig.:bassist:

[​IMG]

17. Look at my rig in my signature, i play mainly blues and it gets me there in style

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    GK 1001 RB II, 2 x Bag End S15D or 1 x D10BX-D and problem solved...

If I were doing it today of course I'd snag the new little 500 watter on general principals... well I would if it were rackable anyway ... I still may.

I've done every possible kind of blues / swing / rock 'a billy / stomp / jump possible with GK & Bag End. Fat, round, defined, punchy - it's all there and it's small. and it's reliable and if it get's stolen - it's easily replaced. Maybe not as gucci as some stuff - but it'll bring home the bacon everytime.

BTW for whoever above - while it isn't his full time gig anymore I notice that Nathan East used to swing pretty hard behind EC ... on his 6 string ... blues is about your hands, your ears and your heart - It's not about the gear ...

19. ++++1

I, too, use a Berg HT210/HT115 stack for large venues and outdoor blues gigs, and I cut back to just one of those cabs for smaller-to mid-sized venues. Thankfully my Crest power amp allows me to go from 500+watts on either side (at 8 ohms) to 2,000 watts bridged (at 4 ohms), which drives either Berg--with some headroom, which I like--or both perfectly. I use an Alembic F-1X preamp for that deep, warm tubey sound and adjust the Bergs' tweeter control to cut through the mix, if necessary (it usually isn't). We're all blues fanatics and my bandmates love my tone and gravitas.

A friend of mine in San Francisco, Steve Evans, recorded with Eric Gales on two of Eric's recent CDs and toured for years with Coco Montoya. Steve tries different cabs all the time and it seems to me he usually comes back to Bergs. He drives them with Crown amps and the "other" Alembic preamp, the F-2B. Steve seems happy with his tone from a variety of Berg cabs and Crown amp models. As a touring pro without roadies, he is as interested in durability and reasonable portability as much as sonic factors. While Steve certainly pays attention to his tone, he never seems as preoccupied with it--to the exclusion of other factors--as weekend warriors, such as myself, do. (These are, of course, my impressions; not Steve's words.)

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

20. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I love me some jack. He could always cut through, and his later stuff is hartke and fretless warwicks, so go figure. THat cream tone was something special, and playing that stuff live is a beautiful thing. I distorted the snot out of the sound for Crossroads, really fuzzed up the solo stretches.

I also loved playing fretless on blues gigs. I mean REALLY loved it, because it rarely called for slappity-poppity type stuff, and I felt like I could squeeze every bit out of every note. Fretless made more difference in my mojo than the ampegs, alembic pre, or markbass ever did.

You should see the 9am mass when I break out the fretless these days.