1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blues Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 13, 2008.

1. bigfiddle

bigfiddle

Aug 25, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    1, 2 or 3 as needed.

Attached Files:

2. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    I am also thinking the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and the 1515L Schroader cabinet(30lbs or so for 2 15in) might be the way to go....lightweight but heavyweight Blues groove.....

The total weight would be about 40-50 lbs.....and for me that's important since my roadie quit in 1976.......and of course don't forget the 760M LaBella flatwounds.....and passive not active. Those active circuits make the girl's nipples wiggle......in the first 3 rows.

We are not paid for that......it's not our job.

willieG

3. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    My blues rig is simple, its also my regular rig, my light rig, my watered down rig, my so little, so cute rig.

SM900, now with eq footswitch!
    1 GK 210
    1 Eden 210T Used to be an swr 210.

I run them stereo. I like the control better.

4. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    The combination of the GK 800RB head and a pair (if not a trio) of Bag End S15-D cabs along with a Precision strung with flats makes for a very formidable blues rig (IMHO). I use my GK 800RB with a 4 ohm Schroeder 1212R through the 300 watts @ 4 ohms output and an 8 ohm JBL MR-15 through the 100 watts @ 8 ohms output and run it full range. The Schroeder cab has a very deep response and the JBL cab is very midrangey and super efficient so it keeps up with the 1212R and they sound great together. I run them full range, but it almost sounds as if it were biamped due to the different response of the speakers. Schroeder has come out with a new compact 2x15 cabinet called the 1515L that is tweeterless, small (23.5"x17"x18"), weighs only 40 pounds, is efficient and handles 800 watts. I haven't heard one yet, but it sure sounds like the perfect cabinet for an old man AARP card carrying blues bassist like me.

5. OK... so this combination delivers punch, power and warmth all at the same time. Works great for fretless bass and upright too.

Attached Files:

6. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Although I love the look of Jimmy's B15 stack, for me there are only two setups I take for blues gigs.

Small club/No PA support -- Peavey COMBO 300

Medium/Large club with PA support - Mesa Walkabout head with 1x15 Mesa Diesel cab (EV loaded).