Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blues/rock strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Sep 11, 2004.

1. what would be some good blues/rock string?

i hate the "new string" sound!!!!

i would them to be "FAT" sounding.

the best strings i have tried so far are ernie ball strings.

2. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    How 'bout TI (Thomastik Infeld) JF344s (Jazz flats)?

Well balanced, thick, warm and punchy on my Jazz Bass. Bright, but not overly bright and I've noticed less sustain on the notes fretted higher on the neck than typical roundwound strings. They are pricey for the initial investment, but get better the more they are played. Their longevity can be measured in years.

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I just put a set of the Jazz Flats on my 55-94 - WOW! They're staying on the bass. Nice full, articulate, deep sound - not zingey at all, just like I wanted.

Dan K.

4. sorry i dont like flats

never worked for me

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    D'Addario Nickel Wounds
    TI Jazz Round Wounds

6. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Is there something you don't like about the Ernie Ball strings fenderbluesdude? They're pretty good strings I hear. Are they too thin sounding? Break too often? Too bright sounding?

Some of the tone things can be adjusted with the bass tone controls and the amp settings.You list a fretless Fender J as your instrument; there's a lot of tone variation you can do with just the bass's controls. I mean, Jaco used something similar (though he had those Acoustic amps back then and an 18" cab) so it might not be just the strings. Just find a company you like that make strings that are not too expensive, are always available and don't break that often. Then see if you can get your blues/rock sound from the amp. It almost seems, from your amp setup, that you might be wanting a little more bottom. You might think of stacking the 2x12 on top of a 2x15 or even a 1x15 and get a thicker sound.

Just some ideas.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    TI JF344-best string for blues.
    If you don't like flats, Ken Smith Compressors.
    Smooth feeling, nickel strings, deep, not as bright as others.