Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blues scale

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by swe3702, Mar 24, 2002.

1. I only have a simple question:
    What notes are in the G Blues Scale?:cool:

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    G, Bb, C, Db, D, F, G

Like a minor pentatonic scale with the addition of the b5.

You can transpose this pattern to any starting point to get that blues scale as well

Mike

3. Thank you!
    Another question:
    What are passing notes?, and are there any in the blues scale?:)

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    A passing tone is a note that connects one note to another. It can happen by way of a scale or chromatically. For example you've played a C and want to go to a Bb, placing a B in between would be a chromatic passing tone. If you squeeze in both a B and an A you have a double chromatic passing tone (Jaco does a great one in Birdland C to Bb to B).

There is also an approach note. That is where a note jumps to a note 1/2 step away from the target. For example I jump from an A to an Eb to finally land on the E.

The b5 in the blues scale can be considered a passing tone, if it is used in that way.

Many notes can function in different ways and it is your judgement that determines which function is stronger. For example a C going to an E and finally to an F. Is the E the 3rd of the C chord (chord tone) or is it an approach note. If the E was on a strong beat (1 or 3) I would tend to make it a chord tone but if it was on a weaker beat I would lead towards the approach note.

Hope this helps.

Mike