1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

blues solo ?

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by kilum, Mar 31, 2008.

1. kilum

kilum

Feb 27, 2008
    Hi,
    In a 12 bar blues .. in the key of C
    C7 | C7 | C7 | C7
    F7 | F7 | C7 | C7
    G7 | F7 | C7 | G7

even if its a major key ...
    Can I use C minor pentatonic scale ?

I was playing with my teacher and he said ... bass solo...
    but i had no idea how to do a solo ...
    i tried to play notes in the scale, but he said .." in the jazz/blues , u have to create a main phrase and stick with this idea, u are playing notes over notes without a main phrase ..."
    :crying:

How can I improvise my solo ?
    thanks.

2. This is a LOADED question and on this topic I could write many pages. Here is the short answer: The most basic scale choices used when playing a blues are minor pentatonic (BLUES) and Mixolydian (Dominant 7th chord scale) scales. Other than running up and down the scales, when improvising over a 12 bar blues we think of playing musical phrases, whether it be 1 bar phrases (or licks), 2 bar phrases, or 4 bar phrases. The blues is most effectively played by playing three (4) bar phrases. The first two often are the same phrase and the third is a response to the first two (CALL & RESPONSE). You would be well served by listening to a lot of blues and listen to the solos of guitars, saxes, trumpets, bass, whatever. To be a good soloist, you should listen to solos on any instrument and not just bass solos.

Have Fun!

Dave

3. kilum

kilum

Feb 27, 2008
    when i hear guitar...saxes... piano..solos ..all of them seem like melodic .. but when i hear a bass solo .. sounds not too melodic ...

4. kilum

kilum

Feb 27, 2008
    i didnt understand .. (call & response)
    can u gimme an example ? or a link ... with a video explaining ?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021