1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

blues soloing

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by PDICKERS, Sep 22, 2008.

1. PDICKERS

PDICKERS

Sep 22, 2008
    hello Mr Seaton

Can you recommend a tutuor book which teaches how to solo the blues on the double bass please ?

Paul D.

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    The ability to play the blues and rhythm changes are certainly some of the most important skills to have as a jazz player. Transcribing basslines and solos yourself in the forms is very helpful if you also analyze how the notes and phrases fit the chords.
    There are lots of pre-transcribed solo and bassline books including the excellent series by Jim Stinnett. They are available at www.jimstinnett.com
    John Racina has written some nice etude books:
    Supplementary Jazz Studies Volume 1 ~ # 101 Blues Riffs, Supplementary Jazz Studies Volume 4 ~ # 104 Blues Etudes, Patterns and More (Treble Clef Instruments), and Supplementary Jazz Studies Volume 3 ~ #102B Jazz Etudes to Rhythm Changes. They are available on his website: www.johnracinamusic.com

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

6. I know the feeling.......

7. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey, it's the Ed & Paul double act!

And I hear you're pretty darned good bass players too, in case your comedy career doesn't take off! :p

Good to see you posting again, Paul: and a quick 'second' for Ed's tasty book :)

Andy

8. I have that book too and can honestly say it helped me out. Ed's tone and feel are a real treat to listen to also.