1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blues Strings ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by p-bass, Feb 17, 2008.

1. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    I am joining a Blues band and need advice on strings. The band plays everything from Muddy Waters to Tommy Castro. I want to get as close to a flatwound sound for the early blues and a 70's rock blues roundwound sound for the more modern blues. I only have one Bass,it is a Fender P-Bass and can not afford nor do I want to purchase a new Bass. I am used to roundwounds and would like to stick with a roundwound that could cover these styles.Thank You

2. oh dear... I use La Bella Deep Talking Flats... the black nylon tapewound ones... and Rotosound roundwounds... I also have more than 1 bass

sorry for the bad news... you are going to need more than 1 bass if you want both flatwound and roundwound sound...

:)

3. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    I know I will never get a true flatwound sound out of a roundwound,I am just asking if anyone knows of a roundwound that could get me in that teritory.

4. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    Try a Nickelwound set and let them age for awhile. I use the D'addario XL Nickelwounds on a couple of my P-Basses with good results. Technique plays a very important role as well,hand placement,muting and string attack.When I play Blues or Old Soul music)even Motown) I like to use rounds live anyhow as flats tend to sound boomy in some rooms. If you are going to record with the band and want a flatwound sound your only real choice is to use flats. Live I would use a nickelwound and you should be fine.

5. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    You my want to try a pressure wound/groundwound string and live in the middle. FWIW I like SIT Silencers for this kind of application.

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    What you have is fine.
    Pump up the bass and roll off the highs to about half.
    Pick/pluck at the 19th fret.

7. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Hi

You could try ground rounds (GHS brite flats etc.) They won't be as bright as rounds nor as flat as flats but the compromise might work especially if your willing to change your settings on your amp per the song, or have an amp that can hold 2 settings and switch via a foot switch. Also try setting the amp with the treble all the way up on the bass for the roundwound sound and see if putting the treble all the way down gets you enough thump for the flat sound

My 2ยข

8. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Thank you guys. I have been using DR Highbeams and they are a little on the brite side. I really want to stick with roundwound strings and have heard nickel sound warmer so I think I will try some nickel roundwounds.

9. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Update.... I changed out the pickup to a Fender Original '62 P-Bass pickup and changed the strings to D'addario XL nickel round wounds. My Bass sounds much fatter and with some palm muting I am getting an almost flatwound sound. The strings are still brite and I hope they will melow a bit.Thanks for the advice.

10. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    You may want to consider the TI JazzRounds.

I've heard a couple of sound clips on here, and the impression I get is these don't have that typical roundwound zing, and they've got this bluesy growl thing happening.

The only problem may be if you're down-tuning. The tension appears to be very low.

Ljazz

11. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    I picked up a 50's Classic P-Bass and threw on some Daddario Chromes. I now have just what I was looking for.Thanks again.

12. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    The nickel strings have broken in nice and sounding great. The band is happy with the tone I am getting with the roundwounds more than the flatwounds.

13. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Nothing like a good set of broken in Nickels. I like XLs and also have taken a fancy to Fender 7250s. With the tone control and hand placement you can cover a lot more ground than you can with flats alone IME. I am a freak because I love flats on my Jazz and rounds on my P.