Blues Traveler

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jnprather, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Hey all!

I'm sitting here unable to sleep at 5am, watching some old rerun of the Conan O'Brien show, and Blues Traveler is the musical guest. The bass player (new (the guitar player's brother I believe?) since Bobby Sheehan passed away R.I.P.) grooved through the song with a ripping little slap line, and some great fingerstyle work through the choruses and such. His tone was awesome (Modulus??? maybe through an Eden 4x10).

Wondering if anybody else saw this, definately worth mentioning. I always loved Bobby Sheehan's playing with Blues Traveler and it looks like this guy's holding down the fort quite well!

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Look down a bit Bro- there's a thread on Tad-
    I too was blown away!
    That tune was bass-driven and he KILLED IT!
    Where is he from??? What had he done before??
    Ya know, I hate it, when you do a gig, etc. think that you're getting chops, feel like the bomb, etc. and out of nowhere sorta comes a guys slappin' the
    bejeebeys out of a tune.
    He was GOOD!!:cool:
  3. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yeah, he's definately a beast. The only info I could find about him comes from the Blues Traveler website :

7. When did you join BT? Any other bands you played in? How long? Where?

I joined BT on November 4th 1999. Prior to this I was living and playing music in NYC with the band Dowdy Smack and most recently Smithaus. Dowdy Smack, a band formed with college buddies Pat Murray and Ze Frank, played up and down the east coast and released the CD Aren't You Delicious.

And his arsenal :
    Boss Octave
    Electro-Harmonix Bass Ball
    DOD Flanger
    Line 6 Delay Module
    Jim Dunlop Bass Cry Baby

Mesa Boogie M-2000
    David Eden 400 Road Traveler

Speaker Cabinets:
    Mesa Boogie 18"
    Mesa Boogie 4x10"

Modulus Quantum six string
    Modulus Quantum five string
    Ernie Ball Music Man four string fretless
    Taylor four string acoustic
    Gibson Banjo
    73' Fender four string Jazz

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    :( (Sob)
    SO much competition out there!
    Thanks for the info-
    He is an impressive player for sure.
    BTW, I have a harp player in my R&B band, and Popper is the epitome to him (well, along with Little MNilton & Sonny Boy Williamson)
    What a great band BT is, huh?
  5. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Oh yeah, I've been a fan since the first time I heard them. Popper just blew me away!

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    ....& the sumbeoch can SING Too!!!
  7. I agree, it's humbling to see somebody like that perform. But by the same token, i'd almost rather see somebody that good playing with a top tier band on national TV, than when you see some bum who can barely hold his instrument on there!

It's kinda like when I meet or know some insanely hot chick that I know I don't have a chance with. It doesn't bother me so much when her boyfriend is some good looking guy with tons of money, but it pisses me off when it's some dweeb loser!

Like that analogy?

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I just saw it yesterday (my TV doesn't have NBC on my cable service but for some weird reason that channel was open at 2:00AM and that Conan show was on :eek: )

it was destiny maybe :D

the slap bass drown all the other instruments but the fingered parts were really cool

thumbs up for putting the bass up front anyways :)
  9. There was an interview with that guy in Bass Player magazine not so long ago... he seems pretty good. I'll try and find the article and post it.
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    totally awesome playin'! grooved real solid and real hard.
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah i saw this episode a few days ago.. I just stopped everything and listened, the kid was phat. he just put down such a tasty groove.. i enjoyed it very much