1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BlueSteels to flats without a setup?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by project_c, Jun 3, 2014.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I have Dean Markley BlueSteel 45-105's on my P-bass, which sounds great, but I need to switch to flats for a jazz rehearsal. Can anyone recommend flats that are a similar kind of tension to BlueSteel's? I'd like to leave the neck and setup as close to how it is now as I can, because the rounds are going back on there straight after the rehearsal, so ideally I'm after flats that are the same tension as BlueSteel 45-105's. i know it's quite a specific question but any suggestions would be great. thanks!

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Since Dean Markley doesn't publish a tension chart AFAIK, and the strung tension at pitch (NOT to be confused with 'felt stiffness' as "tension" is often referred to),
    is usually at a slightly higher tension with flats than similarly gauged rounds, when at pitch, I'd try a set of flats that are 40-100 (Chromes. maybe) to get into the ballpark.

michael_t likes this.
  3. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Those Light Chromes are my go-to, but they're nowhere near balanced on the tension front. If tension is the honest issue (rather than stiffness), maybe do a couple searches and see what people think about sets with a more balanced profile

4. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Thanks for your help guys, my main concern is not so much the feel, but that the difference in tension doesn't result in me having to adjust the truss rod etc, because there'll be no time and I'd like it to be a straightforward thing if at all possible.

5. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Just so you know, it took my latest set of Chromes about a month of daily playing before I was happy with the tone. I was iffy about that bass during the break-in period and didn't use it in a band setting at all. Flats are like that.

6. I have no info on the Blue Steels, but to illustrate JustForSport's point, here's the actual tension comparison between D'A EXL165 Nickel Rounds (45-65-85-105) and D'A ECB84 Chromes Flats (40-60-80-100):

ECB84 (Chromes Flats): Total 173.13 lbs.

G 40 37.83 lbs.
    D 60 46.49 lbs.
    A 80 47.52 lbs.
    E 100 40.29 lbs.

EXL165 (Nickel Rounds): Total 174.29 lbs.

G 45 42.52 lbs.
    D 65 48.35 lbs.
    A 85 45.34 lbs.
    E 105 38.08 lbs.

I would say they're very close.

chuck norriss likes this.
  7. Something I should add to my above post...

I used the ECB84 Chromes on my Fender Jazz for four years. Then I wanted to try some rounds, so put a set of DR Sunbeams (45-65-85-105) on it.

This change did NOT require any tweak with the truss rod.

8. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Thanks for the replies - I decided to go with some LaBella Deep Talkin' 760's in the end, mainly because they were the only decent flats in stock in my favourite local store, but so far they seem to suit my chunky old p-bass really well. Still prefer the tone of the worn-in Blue Steel rounds to be honest, but the tone is so growly with those that I'm scared to take it to a jazz rehearsal with those on. LaBella's seem to suit the jazz vibe and feel great.