Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BMax (ss) vs. BMax-T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Sorry if this is redundant. I've heard the Basstasters clips and I guess there's a review of both pre's in the new BP mag - but has anybody actually played through both? I've got the solid state and love it, but I'm starting to think I'm missing out by not having that one tube. If you've played both, is there really a big difference? I'm on a little rock in the middle of nowhere, so I'd probably have to buy it just to try it out.
    Damn this great site for giving me endless GAS.

2. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    CANT TALK NOW! IM GOING TO STARBUCKS!

I LOVE MY BMAX PRE AMP SS

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    GAS is dangerous...and hard to control sometimes :cool:

I like my SS version...but I run it now with a Sansamp BDDI in front of it cause when I want I can add just a little "tube-like" sound to it...plus you have two decent DI options, either with or without the pre.

sorry I can't help with actual BMax-T comments, but I'm poor. :D

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Can't help you on your question, but...

:eek: I KNOW you're not complaining even a little bit about living on Kauai. ;) That place is paradise...the best vacation I've ever had and I'm definitely coming back.

The jealous,
    Marshall

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Changing the direction a bit after this thread has apparently run its course:

How do you like the BDDI and the BMax together?

Can you give us a rundown of the tones available?

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This isn't going to help your case of gass but I played through both yesterday at rockcity guitars in Boston. I couldn't stop playing through the Bmax-T. It really blew me away. I was ready from the get go to dislike it but it killed! So, I figured I'd try the ss version. It honestly didn't last 15 seconds before I turned it off. It just doesn't have the life or vibrance of the tube pre. The Bmax-T has an openness and airyness to it that the other just doesn't touch.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    That's the impression I got from the basstasters sound clips.

The SS sounds like it would really KILL in the low end and low-mids, but the mids and treble were sterile compared to the 'T'.

I suspect that the BMax-T with a little bit of bass boost would be fairly comparable to the SS model in the lower regions.

I have to try one out with my system. It might make me forget my Jones'in for a MB M-2000.

8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I think the BP review said they liked the SS because it had a quicker response. Its a difference (insert you speed bass god here) might pick up on, but us mere bass mortals probably would never hear, especially live. I really like my T. It gives me exactly what I wanted in a pre.

9. The difference in response time between the BMax and my Sansamp BDDI is actually quite noticeable. It's something you can hear and feel... the Sansamp feels mushy and as if it's delaying the attack of each note in comparison. I haven't used a BMax-T, but I still haven't got over how good my BMax sounds.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I haven't tried either one yet, but our retail sales clinician, Mahlon Hawk, loves his BMax, which is paired up with a PLX amp.

11. Ya know what? For many of us who do this for a living...how great this thing sounds is a moot point. I would like to have purchased one of these; however, the genius' that designed these units, made two (IMO) really big faux-ups on them. 1. (And the biggest of mistakes...) the master voume control also controls volume to the DI. Hello...have any of these 'engineers' ever heard of a situation where you might possibly want to run the preamp to mixing console? (Which leads me to believe; not only are they NOT players BUT they didn't even consult with pros.) You can't be up there adjusting stage volume and have it affect the house. 2. They put (1) main 1/4" output on the rear panel. So for those who might want to run a signal to channel 2 of our amplifier...well; Iguess their answer is "go out and buy a splitter or mono to stereo jack". I just think the thought process in development was NOT thought through. I wish it was...'cause I like the Maximizer.

12. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Yeah but it still sounds kick a$$ which is my main concern especially since I got it $230 brand new in the box which is cheaper than some 'outboard' pedal type preamps and stompboxes.

13. On this note, is a BBE 882i sonic maximizer any good?

14. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    I know you have to give some volume to the poweramp from the pre, but wouldn't the poweramp control the volume to the cab anyway?

(Besides, I do this (meaning run the DI to the board) and I don't move the knob past 10 or 11. I admit I'm going towards this setup with the purchase of a PLX so I'll be able to test it for sure in the future, but I've heard the master set at 10 or 11 is enough for the poweramp..)

Of course, I could be completely wrong too.

15. TubeCooker

TubeCooker

May 19, 2004
    Coppell, TX
    I have a Bmax SS Pre driving a PLX 2400 and you are correct. With the input gain set very low (around 3 on the BMAX input section), and the master output set to 5 (halfway), it is simple enough to use the gain control on the PLX to adjust the volume. In bridge mode on the PLX this starts to hit the clip light at about 18-20 (out of 32) on the PLX gain control. So, there is no issue being able to set the BMAX and leave it alone and using the amplifier gain control to adjust your stage volume. While I agree it would be preferred to have either a fixed or seperately adjustable DI output control, it doesn't seem to be a problem if you are aware of it and you are using the PLX gain control for your stage volume.

TubeCooker

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, I'll be getting a Bmax-T in the next few days, I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

Peace,
    Scott D.

Edit: I'll be using it with a PLX 2402 as well.

18. I have to disagree. I use a poweramp specifically for the headroom. Hence, I run mine wide open. If you've never run your poweramp like this...I'd suggest you try it, otherwise you're defeating the purpose of having those additional watts for speaker excursion/damping. And it most definately makes a big difference in clarity. (If you don't want the headroom...then I guess the misgivings of the B-Max won't matter.) For...the more control I have over my sound/volume, the less I have to worry about...and I can direct my energies to the task at hand - playing!

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    No, it doesn't. The gain controls on a power amp do not regulate how much power the amp can put out, and will have no effect on clarity.

Running the amp wide open, though, will tend to diminish your signal-to-noise ratio.

20. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    A newbie question. If the power amp gain knob doesn't control power output, which I have read many times here, exactly what does it control?