Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BMAX-T and 12AU7?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Ordered a BMAX-T, should be here next week. So many questions. Will 48V phantom power fry the DI output? Hate to find out the hard way. If necessary it can go through a passive DI box on the way to the board. Next, has anyone experimented with different tubes? I've got some NOS Tungsram ECC82 and ECC83 tubes that I would like to use in something before I die. A bunch of these tubes have been sitting in a padded box in the bottom of my gig bag as long as I can remember. Since I may be opening up the BMAX for the Blue Light conversion project, what about a tube swap? From what I read, there is plenty of gain as is. What would happen if I stuck in a lower gain tube like an ECC82 (12AU7)? With all the knob twisters and tinkerers on this forum I'll bet someone has tried this.

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I emailed BBE about the phantom power question when I got my BMax-T, and they responded (in minuted. Gotta love good customer service) that they do not recommend phantom power, but it won't damage the unit.

Haven't done any tube swaps in mine, but i'd be interested in hearing your results.

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I'll try it out stock with my set-up first to see what's what. Then maybe in with the 12AU7. That's the easy part. The Blue Light conversion my be a problem. I don't want to void my warrantee. It sure would be great if BBE came out with a retrofit kit for the BMAX. They could sell a ton of them. I know I'd be glad to shell out an extra $100 to have a Blue Light on the front. ;)

4. Plus, with the blue light you would sound and play better, so it'd be worth it. ;)

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You can do a blue light mod to Bmax preamps :eek:
    Oh man, I need to do a quick search... My concern though, what will be the tonal difference between the green light and the blue light? ;)

6. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    I use a Philips JAN 5751, plus I did the mod to reduce the first stage gain. Now it will even handle the output from a Bongo.

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The switch from green to blue is not as drastic as switching from red or orange. But you can tell the difference in tone. The big change is in how it affects your playing. The red and orange lights on the front of your gear will make your playing style more agitated and stressed out. What it does is whip your bio-rythyms into a frenzy. This may be exactly what you want if you are playing 50's Bebop at 90 m.p.h. or some speed metal music. I found that it was like drinking too much coffee before going on stage. Too many notes played too fast. It got so bad I finally had to resort to having several shots of whiskey before playing, to calm myself down. After I switched over to Blue Light gear, my playing became much mellower, with tastier fills and fewer 32nd notes. If you find yourself whipping your bass into a frenzy for no reason. If you are throwing in a lot of fast runs and complicated fills that really don't add anything to the music. Then go toward the light, the Blue Light. It worked for me. ;)

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^Then blue it will be :D