Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BMG music club thingy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I got like 10 free CD's... Jaco, Weather Report, Larry Graham, Mingus, Richard Bona, and other stuff.. I never thought being a member would be so totally cool.. They sent me this other CD that I just pay for whenever. I never thought this could happen..

I'm not being an billboard for them, I just think it's fecking cool that it's not a darn scam!

2. I was a member many years ago. At first it was great, but after six months or so, I had bought most everything that really appealed to me. Thereafter, every catalog seemed about the same, so nothing new to pick from. And I also had to remember to mail back a card telling them "no I DON'T want you to send me this month's selection"

So eventually I dropped it. Certainly it wasn't a scam, and actually it's probably a pretty good deal, but to me it seemed there was a certain amount of hassle to it.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    ha ha ha
    i remember a few years back, I wanted Rage's BOLA... and some SR-71 CD... so i used my moms adress for RATM, and my dads for SR-71.... hardcore. they were free, too.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    all hail to thee....king of punkness....

5. Ah yes..... the 10 free cd's. I remember them well. haha :D

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    BMG is great...I've joined and cancelled 5 times. Often when you cancel they'll send you an invitation after a while to rejoing for the same deal.

brad cook

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've done the same-after the holidays I'm going to join again. The standard deal now is 12 cds-pick 7, then pic 1 you buy, then pick 4 more. The trick is that with shipping and handling, BMG is still making about $50 from you each time you to it, but 12 cds for $50 is still a great deal. You can cancel online as soon as your last payment goes through, too, so you don't even have to deal with the "monthly selections" deal.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    One think I would point out is that the artists get less of a percentage of sales from CD club units than regular "storefront" sales. I don't know the specifics of it, but I believe it's that the Music Industry considers CD clubs partially "promotion", and therefore takes an even larger cut than usual. :scowl:

That's why I limit (or have rationalized) my membership by only purchasing remixed/remastered/"updated" versions of albums I already own - for instance, I was able to use my first 7 discs to replace the vast majority of my Queensryche catalog with the remasters w/ bonus tracks, in effect giving the artist at least a "partial" sale over the nothing they would receive without my membership, as replacing CDs isn't at the top of my music priority list.

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I joined, and, like nashvillebill, found it nice, but not great. My friends had joined and cancelled several times and had gotten tons of discs as a result. I however, found mailing the stupid little card in to be a hassle and their selection wasn't all that great. Of the 10 cds I originally got, I believe I listen to 2 of them. It's not a scam, but you kind of have to stay on your toes.

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, the CD clubs are great way to expand your collection. They won't have any hard to find stuff but they'll have all the old standards. It's how I'm getting my classic rock fix (Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Yes, Van Morrison, etc.).

There's 2 clubs. BMG and Columbia House. BMG is 6 up front free, buy 1, then 5 more free (12 for 1). Columbia House has the better selection and is 12 free up front then you have 2 years to buy 5 more for regular price. The cool thing though is it's always buy 1 get 2, 3, or 4 free so you get more free CD's when you buy the CD's you're contractually obligated to buy.

Here's the catch though--->you have to pay $2.80 shipping for EACH CD, even the free ones.

The coolest thing is getting all the CD's, quitting the club and then rejoining a 2-3 months later. Awesome way to fill out your CD racks :D .

11. You know you can get a free ipod if you sign up for an offer (like bmg) 5 times, right?

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Shut up.

brad cook