Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Mar 9, 2003.

1. OK, this is probaly going to relate only to the young people of talkbass, but I still want to know. Does anybody here BMX? If you do, tell me about it and if you dont, then what is your view of it? Anyway, just trying to get a discussuion going, thanks.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Well, I don't do BMX, but I do freeride mountain biking. Part of that includes alot of urban riding (Boston, Provi. RI, etc.) where we do mostly BMX/trials inspired stuff. One of my mountain bikes is basically set up as an overbuilt BMX.

As far as BMX itself goes, I love watch and learn from it to adapt certain aspects of it to mountain biking. I wish there was more coverage of BMX on TV, too (especially street style).
  3. i know what you mean, its really hard to find anything about bmx on tv, you sometimes find some vert or dirt stuff, rare to find flatland/street.

does your bike have a crank spider and stuff is that what you mean? a lot of hardcore mountain bikers come with us when we town ride, and they do gaps and hops and things, i guess its kind of intimidating to see 30-40 bmx and moutain bikers going down the middle of small town roads in the middle of tourist season when the our towns population is like under 2000 or somthing, and their isnt a main town anywhere near us. :D people freak.
  4. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yup. Here is a pic:

Do you have a shot of yours? If not, what do you ride?

People around here seem to react OK when they see BMX/MTB'ers riding around (especially Boston.) I can't say that I or the people I ride with have had any bad encounters.

Actually, it is really nice out today. I think as soon as I am done here, I'm going riding. :)
  5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Oooh, you ride a Kona? My roommate works at a bike dealer and he rides a purple Kona Stinky I think.

I've always wanted to get into freeriding, but I don't have the money for it.
  6. well i couldnt find any generic pictures, and mine is taken apart right now:(

but ill describe it for you,

its a mettalic blue Haro Cosmo,

21 inch frame,

1 piece cranks for now:rolleyes:

ringworm tires,

WETHEPEOPLE handlebars(2 piece and unpainted so you can see the welds, they are the greatest but werent cheap)

horrible brakes.

snafu extra comfy grips

thats basically everything ive really dealt with, im planning on getting some snafu 3 piece cranks sometime next season, and i was thinking about semi-tubless tires but i dont think ill go for it, and hopefully ill get some new brakes and maybe a new seat
  7. yup. i sure do (did). i dont ride at all anymore. just doesnt interest me as much as other things.

standard shaman 19.5"
    s&m pitchforks
    dk jump seat
    dk iron cross pedals
    graveyard 3/16" street sprocket (1/4" teeth)
    kmc 3/16" street chain
    slambars, roughneck grips, kink crossbolt stem, aheadset.
    peregrine phat jack hp48 wheelset. heavy mofo.
    profile 3 pc cranks
    kink sparky pegs
    acs fat claws freewheel
    ehhh...thats it? you got the idea. im trying to sell it and get more bass stuff.
  8. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Thats a nice ride you have their, Todd.
  9. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nice ride and pic, volumefiend.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't do it, but that stuff amazes the hell outta me! I could watch BMX stuff for hours, especially the "street style".
  11. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Back in the 80's I had a Redline Proline w/

Redline Flight Cranks
    CW Freestyle Bars
    Array Chrome Alloys w/ Hutch Magnesium Hubs w/ Titanium axles
    Mountain Bike Brakes Front and Rear.
    Alos had a set of Skyway Tuff Wheel 2's

Me and my friends were mostly into freestyle.
    We lived in the Sierra Foothills and built a Quarter Pipe ramp up against a large Oak tree.

The funny thing about the ramp, was there was this punk kid who had built this fort in the woods.
    We didn't have any wood to build the ramp so we found his fort and took the wood to build the ramp.
    A couple of days after we built the ramp he came over to ride it. As we were riding the ramp he was telling us how someone took apart his fort and took the wood. He never new since we painted the ramp. Those were good times.

Now I own one of the original Redline Squarebacks from the mid 70's and a Cannondale mountain bike
  12. *bump*

yeah so I got bulldog freefall 3-peice cranks, and I bought a SNAFU extra chunky sprocket with a big fat chain, I bought a BFR wheel with all the fixings for about 400 dollars for my back, and I got my new seat, and new pedals as well. I'm getting some wicked shin pads in a few weeks as well. My bike is even better now.
  13. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Sweet parts selection. Now go out and ride! ;) :)
  14. I ride MTB but i have been riding alot lately with a BMX'er and it has been alot of fun. MY bike is more set as a heavy cross country bike but i got a new/old stock 1999 manitou X-vert with 4" travel not too long ago since i want to get more into urban riding. It rides like butter over some of these curbs and dirtjumps and stuff this BMX kid has me doing. Fun Fun:)
  15. I used to BMX quite a lot, but then my mates started leaving town and so the local scene kind of dissolved...used to ride a Specialized Vegas with:

Gusset Dirty Y-Front forks
    Primo Moustache bars
    Snafu tyres
    Ultimate Hardware Stainless Steel pegs
    Primo Gorilla headset
    Primo grips
    DNA camo seat
    DMR sealed bearing pedals
    ....and no brakes.

I loved street riding and mini ramp stuff, used to be able to do all brakeless stuff, fufanus and abubacas, disaster, sprocket stalls etc...dirt jumping was never really my thing, I was a bit crap at that!
  16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    BMX'd in the early 80's. I was always a GT guy. 3 piece cranks, Bullseye hubs, all good gear. Back then the big names were Mongoose(heavy), Redline, Diamondback, Haro, GT, CW, Kuwahara, etc.

I used to race BMX and street freestyle. Got into 1/2 pipe a bit later. The freestyle and vert stuff was COMPLETELY different. The stuff happening today is mind blowing.

I grew up (physically) and naturally migrated to mountain biking.