Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BMXers on TB?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Mar 22, 2005.

1. You knew it was coming. Anybody- dirt jumpers, street scum, serious racers, old, young, whatever. Even flatland freestyle, I guess. I've had nearly as many BMX bikes as basses over the years, now just a Specialized Vegas frame w/GT thumper parts. I used to have a jump in my back yard. Oh yeah, I'm old, too.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I used to be into it a few years back. I mainly rode 20-inchers, but I had a cruiser, MB, and a DH bike for a short while. I was more of a street rider on the BMXs, but rode everything else in the dirt.

Edit: I was into flatland stuff, too. :)

Like everyone else who rides, I've got the scars to prove it. :smug:

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Ah, the sweet sweet Eighties. I think anyone who was alive back then was involved in BMX to some degree. I was, but not for long. The fat tire culture sucked me in at an early age. Another way to put it..........MTBs saved me from becoming an adult who rides a children's bike. :)

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've been dirt jumping for a few years now. We have pretty good little bmx park that a few guys from around town have built on some parks department land. It's a good way to pass some summer days. I'm currently making the transition to MTB though, I'm ready for something new.

(p.s. I have an 02 (may be an 01) dk six pack I'm lookin to unload if anyones interested ;) pm me... )

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Used to race BMX in the early/mid eighties. Rode half pipe in the mid eighties. Of course, street tricks and random shredding on just about any surface was a daily occurence.

GT frame/fork. Race Inc bars. Bullseye hubs. Proline? rims. I forget all the other specifics. Those were some good days!

6. This thread has more posts than the 'roadies on TB' one! Thanks to all w/scarred shins...

7. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    not any more :scowl:

8. Heppabruddah out! Can you do any tricks? When I was young, I got pretty good at tabletops & turndowns(known at the time as a Harry Leary), & a couple of years ago I was trippin out the kids by nearly pulling off a 360. I can still do a tabletop.

9. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've been known to throw tabletops, no handers, x-ups, and a can-can when I get lucky. Mostly I just enjoy airin' out big doubles.

10. And the roadies are still woopin us in posts per thread. But I don't care- chicks dig scars, not shaved legs.

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    My feet never really left the pedals most of the time. 180s, 360s, barspins/no-handers, x-ups, tabletops, and a few weak turndowns. Oh, and I definitely tried (and failed) a few tailwhips. :p I could do them flatland, though.

All these bike threads are really making me miss riding. (I always have my moto, though ;) ).

12. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well stated my friend.
    Apparently all the real bikers are too busy out biking to be posting on TB. ;) but it's 40 degrees here so I don't feel ashamed.

(I think if we posted as much as we have pm'ed each other the last few days, we would have the roadies thread doubled!)

13. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Here's some pics of me in action, maybe it will boost our ratings...

14. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  15. *Cartman voice on* Sweeet *Cartman voice off*

16. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I used to BMX about 2 years ago. I was more into park riding that dirt though. The first time I tried a dirt jump I landed on the knuckle of the landing ramp and my stomach smashed into my handle bars. That really hurt a lot. I did feeble and double peg grinds. I also like jumping boxes and other ramps. I could never do flatland though. I had I believe a Haro Backtrail 3X. It was something like that.

17. Why yes, I can say Hutch Pro Star.

18. hahaha... this is great.. i had a Skyway (?) bike way back when Mat Hoffman had less broken bones.. And a Mongoose Scooter too.. rememeber BMX Plus! mag from the '80s? hahaha that's too funny...

19. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    atually, I'm pretty sure that BMX plus is still in publication

20. I know I'm diggin this one up, but I over the past couple weeks I've been dying to get back into riding.

I had to give it up cause my dad made me get rid of my bike (Diamondback Skinback) and get a real MTB.

A few things have changed in the past 3 years. I've grown a bit... Back then I was around 6'1". Now I'm 6'7" and I really want to get back into it, but I think I may be too big for the 20"ers...

Any words of advice encouragement?