1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BN5 + MTD635 or BN6 + MTD535

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzfish, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jazzfish

jazzfish

Aug 17, 2005
    Singapore
    which of the combination would you choose to have if you could?

1.Fbass BN5 + MTD635

or

2.Fbass BN6 + MTD535

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ide take whatever and sell em both.

3. I'd probably go with 2 6 strings, but that's just me.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    MTD535 + MTD635.

:D

5. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yesssss!!!!!! I'd agree 100% :bassist:

6. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Or BN5 + BN6! :eek:

7. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You really can't go wrong with either combo. :D

8. That's a tough one... both 6 string models play beautifully, as do both 5's IMO and IME (although I'm not a 6'er).

I guess I would go through the thought process of why I needed both a 6 and a 5. Is it because you like the extended range of a 6 but can't slap on a 6 and need a 5 (that's one of the few reasons I can think of for owning both a 6 and a 5...or a 5 and a 4).

If that's the case, then it comes down to what kind of slap tone do you want (the more modern aggressive MTD or the smoother, more mellow pseudo-J tone of the F bass), and/or what kind of solo voice you want up top... the slightly fatter smoother voice of the FBass, or the uber articulate, unforgiving preciseness of the MTD.

Quite frankly, if I really wanted a 6, I'd just learn how to do everything I need to do on it, and save the money and not buy a 5, but that's just me:D I feel the same way about a 5 and 4... it took me a while to get the muting down when slapping a 5 string, but once I did, I have no need for a 4 anymore... I can do everything on the 5 that I can on the 4. You should be able to do everything on a 6 that you can on a 5 IMO, if you really get comfortable with the instrument.

IMO... both beautiful instruments, and they feel and sound quite different.

Edit: Quite frankly, if I was looking for a 6 that was easy to play, and had a wide variety of tones...from wicked slap to fat punchy upper register C string tone... I'd just get a Skjold and forget about it!!!!! Pete's 6 strings are REALLY something. I'm being a little 'tongue in cheek' here, since there's much to love in the F and MTD, but there was something about TBer G's 6 string Skjold that I played that just took my head off... amazing.... tight, punchy, articulate, but also grindy and growly at the same time... fat, clean and crisp.. that's a rare combination, especially up top on those instruments IMO and IME.

9. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I like your advice, but there are other reasons. I'm a big believer that identical 5 and 6 string basses have different tones. The mass of the larger neck particularly makes the sound of a 6-string bass slightly more compressed and less lively than a 5-string or 4-string bass. Consequently, tone would be another reason to choose to own both a 5 and a 6 string bass.

I prefer the slap tone of the BN5 to the MTD535, and the BN5's tonal flexibility over all, but I love the MTD535's clarity, its tap tone, and its 24 frets come in handy for some songs.

And for what it is worth, while 35" can be good for a B string, I don't like the tone of the C string on most 35" scale basses. It sounds tinny to me and not like it is being played from a bass.

The BN6 is 34.5" and its C string sounds good, as does its B string.

Plus a 35" scale can take a toll on your left hand (and your speed) after awhile.

So, like KJung and others have said, what are your priorities? What are you looking for?

If you need 24 frets on your 5, then MTD is the way to go. If you like the Marcus tone for slap, then the BN5 is the way to go.

As for 6-strings, I like the 34.5" inch scale a LOT for 6ers. Therefore, I'd work with George to get a recommendation on which woods to use to get your tone where you want it to be, and get a BN6.

10. +1 on the scale and number of fret issues also!