1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Board material on a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman20, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Ok....I understand the tonal differences of rosewood and maple.

I own both types of board...and for some reason my eye is always drawn to maple.

BUT...I am now buying my first REAL 5 string. A Lakland Skyline JO5, 3 Tone Sunburst.

I cannot for the life of me decide which board material to go for!

With the low B...how does it sound with maple? Any massive differences?

Maybe I should stick to how JO had it and go for rosewood, but the maple looks sweet.

Ideas?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Im a maple guy at heart, but with sunburst rosewood usually works best. Though I love me some rosewood and maple!

Good luck with that one! :D

3. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    As someone that has Lakland fivers with both (and have owned DJ5's and JO5's with both), I say you won't hear a significant difference. Deep down, I'm a Maple guy at heart, and you surely won't be disappointed in it.
    pair2.

4. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    I own or have owned 2 fivers with rosewood and 2 with maple. I prefer the B string tone of the 2 with maple. To my ears they both have a stronger fundamental. IMO the B string starts to sound bad when there is too much harmonic content in it. Does maple really tame the harmonics or is it something else? I don't know. But if I've got a choice I'd pick maple.

5. Hmm...thanks guys!

Now im stuck hahah!

Cheers

Gareth

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's really cosmetic. There are enough other factors that contribute to what the ultimate sound is that it's very risky to pin much on the fingerboard wood. And with a Lakland, it's even less likely that the wood will make much sonic difference than with a Fender. That's due to the Lakland necks all having separate fingerboards. A Fender maple neck is a one-piece maple neck and fingerboard. Lakland glues a maple board to the maple neck timber for maple necks, just like the ebony and rosewood boards. And I think most of what people attribute to Fender's maple necks being "brighter" is due to the one-peice construction rather than the wood itself (and I think the rest is listening with the eyes instead of the ears).

So, since it's just cosmetic, go with what YOU like the looks of better. For me, a JO in 'burst has to have a rosewood board unless it's fretless (then it's ebony). But some folks also love blocks 'n' binding which I despise. So it's your call. Don't worry about sound, you can't tell.

John

7. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    ^what he said.

Also count me as a +1 on the "rosewood with sunburst" population.