1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Board mixing options

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swimming Bird, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I'm going back to parallel effect chains and want to do it better this time. Before I had an LS-2 which worked great until the unit broke. I already have a passive ABY and some pedals with multiple outs though, so I'm thinking I could use a mini 3- or 4-channel mixer at the end of the chain, with on/off for each channel further upstream. I know there's the Red Panda mixer, but there are also some small Art and Berhinger mini mixers for not many monies.

So, what's good? Obviously another LS-2 is an option, but does anyone use a mini mixer?

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I've used that little Behringer basic line mixer (MX400 I think it was) for parallel effects in conjunction with a splitter/buffer to feed it. It got the job done.

You may need to wire up a few phase reversal patch chords to use with effects that invert the phase between their input and output to use them effectively in a parallel effects setup with other effects.

Just be forwarned, phase can be a fussy issue, and some pedals just won't play well together in a parallel signal scheme. Some mixers will provide a phase reversal switch. But it's not a panacea. Sometimes it even makes the problem worse when there's phase conflicts.

There are variable phase correction devices that will let you fine tune the exact amount of phase. But they're expensive. And even then there's some effects that just won't cooperate. So it's easier to just use a different effect if you run into that problem.

Luck!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Picked up a used LS-2. I've got an ABY splitting signal, running a sub synth (Copilot Cubic) in parallel with the rest of the board (pitchfactor pre/oc-2/copilot orbit/malekko scrutator/bluebeard/xero dlx/pf post/dd-6) with LS-2 to mix. Holy crap, it sounds awesome. Super happy.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Do these exist? As far as I know you can't simply swap the wires around, ground needs to stay as ground and the signal wire needs to inverted by putting it through a transistor stage.

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I was using the term "patch cord" a little too loosely. You need to go through an inverter stage. Usually done with an opamp. You can't just swap your wires. At least as far as I know.

The easiest solution if you're going to be regularly doing parallel effects however, is to get a dedicated parallel effects looper from somebody like Saturnworks. Not cheap unfortunately. But it's a one time investment that'll make your life a whole lot easier. I don't have a regular pedal setup or do enough with multiple effects to make it worth it because my effects are mostly an expensive hobby for me. So I can get sloppy and take a tinker-toy approach since I'm just playing around with them at home. But if you use effects when you're playing out, an effect looping box is something you'll probably want to consider.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member