Board or Boardless?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ripman3, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ripman3

ripman3

Dec 30, 2009
    I have tried arranging my pedals on a board and just placing them on the ground and packing them in my bass case. For those of us who have the option, do you prefer having a board to put your pedals on, even if you only have two or three; or are there people who refuse to use a board and let your pedals be free to roam the stage? What Are the pros and cons of each for gigging and practice?

I have recently reduced my number of pedals to the point where they can all fit in my bass hardshell case. So I am boardless for now to make packing and traveling simpler.

2. I'm boardless right now (even though I have a few boards) I just find it more convenient, oddly, but it works for me. I dont use a ton of pedals though . . .

just got a PT nano which I may switch to . . .

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I use a homemade board. I typically have five or six pedals (about half are largish) on my board and I like being able to put it down, plug in and go. I'll go boardless when I only have one or two boss-sized pedals.

4. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I went boardless for a long time as I don't use every pedal in every band. However, I now use a board as I just got tired of setting up and breaking down my pedals every time I play.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In my trio, I don't use a board ... but I just have a TU-3, CEB-3 and a J48 on the floor.

6. it really depends
    I used to go boardless, but then I got a pedal with a tap tempo. since the tap tempo slid around all the time, I almost had to get a board.

I kind of like the idea of being boardless though. However, not having to go through as big of a process while setting up/tearing down is a huge plus

7. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    If you have only a few small pedals (like, three Boss sized pedals or less) then a board isn't necessary unless you just want to keep organized. With that few pedals, you can just tuck them in the pockets of your gig bag and roll. But when you have a pedal collection like I do, then having a board is necessary to keep everything reasonably organized and portable.

8. I prefer the convenience of a board, I have several sizes to slap together what I need and roll.

9. Normally, I'll have them al screwed into my homemade board, but at the moment, I am rethinking my signal path, so they are all strewn around my room :p

10. My bedroom rig has just a tuner, a Rusty Box, and a BMPi...these are sitting on top of the amp now. If something else is added to the chain tho, they'll be back on a board.

11. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Most of my effects are on a PT Jr. board, except for one. My DOD Milk Box comp sits all by itself, because that's how I use it. Bass > tuner > Milk Box > amp, no board. It gives me a great natural sound with a bit of that old dip and swell squeeze. :)

12. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    I never used a board until this year. It is way more convenient for setting things up/tearing down and saves wear and tear on your jacks.

13. I use five pedals and the receiver for my wireless instrument unit. It's so much easier and convenient for me to have them mounted on a board. It's plug and play, without any hassles.

14. At one point in time I had two pedals on a board that can accommodate at least eight pedals. If I play on using more than one pedal, on the board it goes.

It just makes sense, you don't have to worry about your pedals slipping away from you as you stomp on them, disconnecting them accidentally, moving cables around and giving you scratchy connector noise or acoustic cable noise....

15. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I use a board, because I am inherently lazy, and hate to set up pedals. Part of my early playing ritual consisted of setting up each and every pedal, in a particular order. It took up valuable practice time (it only worked out, because I am also habitually early for everything), and valuable floor space. The Amazing Technicolor Nightmare Pedalboard was a saving grace, but it was unsuitable for my downsized practice space, so it went down Death Row. Requiesciem in Pace, Amazing Technicolor Nightmare Pedalboard. They say true immortality is when they continue to speak your name. My dearest, most-trusted bandmate, you shall live forever.

Anyway, eighteen boardless months later, and I buy a Pedaltrain. It works with my space restrictions, and it saves me time setting up pedals. In short, I don't miss my high-school practice ritual. I could have been a bit more concise, but long-time readers know me as everything but.

16. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I always use a board, even with multieffects simply for the convenience of popping a lid and having all my gear, cables, power adapters, etc. all ready to rock'n'roll... literally. :)

17. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I also prefer the convenience of a board. Makes gigging much easier, and I gig my pedals.

I like your idea of several different sizes - I could easily use a single smaller board for a different gig and rig. Currently I do that one sans pedals because my straight fretless tone is great for that gig. But it would be *fun* to add a few colorations some of the time - but not so many as to require my full-size funk pedalboard.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i hate hate hate plugging in stuff. so a board for me is mandatory unless i only use one pedal.

19. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I went through a few boards but found I spent more time screwing around with the boards and the velcro than I would just plugging and unplugging loose pedals. Of course I'm only "committed" to 3 or 4 pedals and I'm no longer in a band.

20. Pedalboard. No way am I going to set up and break down 12 pedals every gig, jam or practice.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021