Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boards or racks?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Nov 27, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    do yall prefer having pedal boards or racks with those control boards?

i go tto thinking the other day that i might get one of those badass huge racks and just put everything in it and then get one of those control boards (ie chirs chaney) and use that. but it looks expensive and very much a hassle.

however, i really like having my pedals at my feet. i was just wondering what yall folks thought?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If you're more into the knob tweaking and all, pedal boards are the way to go. Right now I'm using a pedal board simply because I haven't finalized my effects set up right now. Once it's complete, I'll rack everything and use my Digital Music GCX to do all switching for me. All I'll have on the from is the Digital Music Ground Control Pro and two expression pedals. Racking it all will end up being a good bit more expensive, but as I said, if you're into tweaking knobs and adjusting on-the-fly, it's not the wise choice.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well the only knob teaking i do is adjusting the delay time cause im to lazy to get more than one. thast it really. if you dont mind my asking you, about how much will it cost to do the rack thing?

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    A decent switching system will run from probably about $500 up, depending on what you want in a switcher and foot controller. Rack shelves alone for the pedals will be at least $25 each, depending on if you want sliding shelves or stationary. Then you've got power supplies, cables, the rack itself...it can add up very quickly.
    Check out www.axess-electronics.com, www.voodoolab.com or www.customaudioelectronics.com for more info and such.
    BTW, I'm sort of patterning my effects set-up off of THIS one. Hopefully it'll be done around the new year.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok. well i like the look of all that. but heres my thing...its really confusing. i understnad the conept of the gcx unit and runnign all yoru pedals into that. but the huge floorboard that have is all sorts of confusing.

maybe you can help me understand socom. how do i run the thing in general? i only need 8 patches tops. and i want a floorboard without all the mucky muck. just something i can use like a stomp boxs. that floorboard they have with all the midi and stuff...way over my head. how would i run stuff in the FX loop of my amp but be able to patch it into the the rack unit. if ive confused you im sorry. finally what about pedals like a whammy? how do i rackmount that and still have control over the expressions and stuff?

essentialy this is all i need. i need to rackmount everythign i have in a really durable rack. i run 4 pedals though my fx loop now, but im not sure wiht this system if ill need to do that anymore. all i want at my feet is a floorboard that acts like one gian stomp box and a tuner.

6. You could just get a nice multi-effect processor in a rack (like the Boss VF-1) and a floor controller to control it (like the Digital Music Ground Control...not the Pro). You tweak the effects on the unit, save it to a patch, then call up the patch with the floor controller.

I think there's a guy selling both of those things in the Classifieds section right now...Check it

ps...it's me.

If you already have the stompboxes, I'd say just stick with them since you don't need more than 8 different things. But if you're just getting started, the Multi-effect route is cheaper and more convenient.

You can also have the best of both worlds and get a floor processor like the Boss Me-50B.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive tried some of the multi effect stuff. it just doesnt jive with me. the only reason im considering the rack deal is because it looks much much easier to set up and travel with and what not. maybe im way off, look CAN be decieving.

8. Yeah...sorry, I re-read the entire thread after I posted my reply and must have missed where you said you wanted to rack your pedals. From what I remember, Axcess has some lower-tier stuff for simple switching, and you can use a midi controller for it...but that goes beyond my experience and I'll shut up now.

Good luck.

9. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    I did just that. I purchased an ME 50B this weekend, and I've quickly come to terms with it.

I was considering the rack route, one thing that particularly tempted me was the compression, however, the ME 50B provides that. I only need 6 effects at most so the Me 50B does work perfect for me.

However the ME 50B only allows you to access 3 patches at a time (however with two additional pedals you can access all 24) - but this might not be appealing to you because you are trying to avoid the pedal overdose beneath your feet.

If you decide on what you're going for post it up, I always find it interesting to see if the product is the same standard as the anticipation.

Buying equipment is such a mission, it is so pleasurable and one should not complain, but there's always something else... and never any £££. But as I say, the ME 50B if sounds like your bag it is good as it isn't expensive, but if not... then fair play
    Good Luck!

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

no sweat. i was reading the manual for the midi controller on the GCX. that is by far the most confusing thing i believe ive ever read in my entire life. i mean david lynch movies make more sense. so if i go rack style im gonn have to have someone help me put it all together to make sense. otherwise im screwed.

thanks for the input luciano. but like i say, the multi effect thing just doesnt perk up my ears. however, im glad its working out for you.

11. alanwolf

alanwolf

Sep 22, 2004
    You could avoid midi completely and just get a custom looper made. The main problem here would be the number of cables running to your rack; but you could get the looper and a custom snake made for the cost of the GCX system.

If you can (with help) figure out a midi system, it does have real advantages—you can call up presets for particular mixes of effects, named for the specific song; just hit the preset, and suddenly you've added all the effects that you wanted with one toe tap. But one big disadvantage, in that you can't just reach down and add some more gain (for example) if you decide you want to. So the real question is: do you play very fixed parts, or do you like to change settings mid song?

A well made pedal board should be drop and play, certainly no more difficult to get up and running than a rack system, and there's less to go wrong.

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea. i keep thinking with a rack all hell could break loose. if i cable went wrong youd never find it. ah...who knows. ill get it all rigured out soon enough.