1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bob Babbitt passes away

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by username1, Jul 22, 2012.

1. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to start this thread but i just wanted to pay respect to Bob Babbitt who passed away last monday. He was a great influence to myself and many others. We will surely all miss his incredable sound,style and feel.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Yup, it sucks.

Few threads already started on TB.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Wow, first Duck, now Bob. Sucks bigtime.

4. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Not only was your posting appropriate, it was necessary. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Ben Franklin were ALL instrumental in founding this country, in their own individual way.

Jamerson, Dunn, Bob Babbitt, and later Jaco..... all contributed HUGELY in the development of the Electric Bass. We all comp there lines whether we know it or not. Mr. Babbitt, although not credited as he should have been, is worthy of his legendary status and we should acknowledge that in our own way.

5. Sadly, as we all age, things like this happen with an ever increasing rapidity. :(

Rest in peace Bob and thanks for all the pleasure you gave.

6. Heck I died last night, just too robotic after all these years to stay down. :D

Sorry, yes the greats are slowly fading. :(

7. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    I had the great honor of meeting Bob at the PJB booth in NAMM in Nashville a few years back. Since Phil is a good friend of mine he invited me to lunch with Bob and Bob's wife Ann since he knew I was such a big fan of Bob's playing and the other Funk brothers. During lunch I was literally mesmerized as Bob told story after story of his sessions and playing back in the days of Motown. I felt like a little kid (and I'm 60)...I could have sat there listening to him for days. Not only was his story telling funny and heartfelt but he talked about other musicians and artists with great respect and admiration. I left that lunch feeling like I made a new friend although that was the first and last time I ever met him...at least that's the way he made me feel. He was truly a legend and a man of intergrity whose love for playing bass was second to his love of his family.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Hey, Bobby, say hello to James, Jaco and Duck for us!
    Pretty exclusive club you belong to. :)
    I know you guys have the jam goin'...
    Best to your family.
    R.I.P.:atoz:

9. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    R.I.P. Mr. Babbitt.

Just this weekend, I was watching Standing in the Shadow of Motown for the very first time, and I really liked his rendition of those classics.

10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Great player and a big part of our legacy

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    We,re still listening, Bob. Rest in peace, pal.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A great musician and fine human being has left us—in body. I've learned much from him and still am learning. Rest in Peace, Bob. You did what you wanted to do, and also showed us the way.

I recall well the SITSOM segment with Bob and meshell, and of course "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"—a sacred moment with dropped D and foam mute. Ahhh. Thank you, Bob.

13. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Just stopping by to show my respects for one of my biggest inspirations.

Rest in peace Bob. Thanks for all the wonderful lines and setting the bar so high for us youngsters to set our sights on.

A true legend. Say hi to James for us.

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    reading about him yesterday and wondering where he was playing:(