1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bob Bowman

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Greg Clinkingbeard, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Although not well known, Kansas City's own Bob Bowman is a great player whom I've admired for many years. Out of North Texas in the '70's, Bob went to NY and joined Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, toured with Carmen McRae, Toshiko Akiyoshi and other greats. He also mentored Marc Johnson while at North Texas.
    Bob is as solid as they come, laying down a walking foundation like nobody but when he solos, the gloves come off. He's actually quite restrained in this clip but you get an indication of why his phone is so busy.
    Pat Kelley, Jerry Hahn, & Bob Bowman They Wrote the Book "Alone Together" - YouTube

PBrown likes this.
  2. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I just heard from my friend, Kansas City pianist Mike Ning, that Bob Bowman will playing a concert/clinic on Sunday (4/6/14) at Take Five Cafe in KC: A quartet with Eliot Zigmund on drums, Rob Schleps on tenor and Roger Wilder on piano.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Bob has played with some fine drummers in his career and I know he likes playing with Eliot. I saw them together Friday and Bob wore a giant smile all night and his playing was inspired. I saw Bob and Roger play a duo last week as well. Totally different side of Bob but really beautiful.