Bob Cranshaw

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 12, 2002.

1. I don't think I've ever seen a thread devoted to this guy...

I've been listening to Sonny Rollins' Global Warming and I have to say that I'm very impressed with Cranshaw's feel and note choices. As an aspiring jazz bassist, it's nice to be able to hear bass guitar used in a straightahead context, and used well.

What bass does he use? It sounds somewhat like a J with roundwounds but with more bottom.
  2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I saw BC w/ Sonny at UCLA just after the release of "Global Warming"....Man, Sonny is one of the last remaining GIANTS- so beautiful!
    I recommend "This is What I Do" , "Next Album" &
    "Sonny Rollins +3" as a few choice CD's w/more of the same great sounds- Jack DeJohnette, George Cables, etc- Pure music!

Oh yeah, your question!!
    I'm almost positive Bob uses a Sadowsky-
    If it's not then it's gotta be either a Fender, or
    one of the high-end "versions" like a Lull or Cellinder,
    but if memory serves me correct, I'm pretty sure it's
    one of Roger's basses.

BTW, at first his solos sound simple, but they are so right-on & correct! Great musical approach!
  3. Hey I'm reviving this thread as I've just really discovered Bob Cranshaw's playing via the new Sonny Rollins album 'Sonny, Please' which is due out shortly - it's a really good record, laid back and cool, accessible but not cheesy in any way - Bob's playing is immaculate and grooving and very sweetly swinging for a an electric bass in proper swing feel jazz. I think he plays fretless and fretted, Sadowsky basses - he's a very inspiring cat.

Check this album out it's worth getting.

Good website here with a 'making of' video on it.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    Just got this Reuben Wilson record called the Cisco kid, bob cranshaw is all up in that record tearing it down with that fender jazz! Love it man, dig the soul jazz grooves, gotta get
    More cranshaw
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thank you for the head's up, MJB!

Just checked out "Groove Grease"...very cool!
  6. louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    If you haven't done so already, check out the live video of Sonny Rollins with his band including Cranshaw on bass from Saugerties, NY.

Important Points (in no particular order):
    1. Sonny's excellent 80's garb
    2. The incredible soloing from Sonny on tunes like "G-Man"...SMOKIN!
    3. The excellent, excellent bass playing from Cranshaw.....such as on tunes like "G-Man"...SMOKIN!
    4. The cool rig on Cranshaw: Looks like a Yamaha neck through 80's BB or even an earlier model when their guitars/basses had names like "Super Rivroller" and stuff like that. And....looks like he's playing this through an Acoustic combo amp....maybe a 1x18 or something????
    5. The fact that supposedly at some point Sonny jumped off the stage and broke his ankle....only to keep on playing. Not sure if this is evident in the video.

I'm tellin' ya......I'm tellin' ya...Saugerties, NY! Cool stuff through and through on this video...