1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bob Daisley plays "Kill the King" with Rainbow in 1977

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Jul 17, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Daisley replaced Jimmy Bain as Rainbow's bassist in January 1977. He would only spend about a year and a half with Rainbow, but it was the springboard to his work with Randy Rhoads on Ozzy's first two albums. Bob never wrote anything for Rainbow. Dio tried to form a band with Daisley two times (in 1979 and again in 1983) after they left Rainbow in '78.

Bob's time and tone here are killer. He really propels the band. Jimmy Bain co-wrote this song and played it on the first leg of the "Rising" tour. Bob mostly kept Jimmy's bassline, but there are a few differences. Bob and Cozy Powell were a powerful team. You can hear Jimmy's version on Rainbow's "On Stage" album.

2. DistortedBass

DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    Bob's still the reason I play bass. Fantastic musician and truly great guy. Got to talk with him for about an hour and a half a few years back. Couldn't have been cooler or more accommodating.

Moosehead1966 and A.K. like this.
  3. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Killer tune

A.K. likes this.
  4. That was awesome. Rising is such a fantastic album.

A.K. likes this.
  5. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    A.K. next time I have a party, I'm letting you pick the music !

6. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    That's gonna be one rockin' party, my friend!

DistortedBass and 4StringAxe like this.
  7. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    ..and he's written a great book.

Moosehead1966 and A.K. like this.
  8. Love this song. Prefer the studio arrangement though. Bob's a killer. Saw him with Gary Moore on the Wold Frontiers tour. Still my favorite show of all time. Back to Daisley. Killer player and tone. Always "there". And Cozy. Even now my favorite drummer. Could play any style and do it well.

A.K. and DistortedBass like this.