Bob daisley vs 80's Geezer... who do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hoser_Eh, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hoser_Eh

Hoser_Eh

Feb 14, 2015
    Utah
    It's easy to see why ozzy teamed up with these guys they have a very similar skill set... or at least played a similar role in their respective bands. Who is more influential in your opinion?

Wisebass and Gluvhand like this.
  2. Wow. Cool question. If you would've asked Daisley vs. 70's Geezer I would've easily said Daisley. I'm going to assume by "80's" Geezer you're including Heaven And Hell which I believe actually came out in '79. I really hate being "that" guy but it really is a toss up for me, but, gun to my head, Daisley. I think he was more influential than Geezer in this time frame. After Mob Rules Sabbath was really kind of a non-factor. Too many different singers, drummers, and other than Born Again, they just didn't sound like Sabbath, IMO, until Dio came back for Dehumanizer. Daisley wrote or co-wrote Ozzy's most identifiable and iconic songs and pretty much offered a masterclass in metal/hard rock bass playing. Powerful, lyrical playing. That's all I got.

joebar, RedVee, petrus61 and 3 others like this.
  3. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Daisley for me.

And it's not even close.

4. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    where'd you come up with that question? it is a good question, though. while i dig the raw, completely unschooled, geezer on their very early stuff, daisley is the man for me. he is all over the place on 80s albums, more than you realize.

Wisebass likes this.
  5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Hoser_Eh :)

(soryy Gluvhand :thumbsup: I couldn't resist :D)

"Bob rules" :D:laugh::bassist:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

RedVee likes this.
  6. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Daisley, for me. One of my inspirations and idols. Great lyricist also.

10cc likes this.
  7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Daisley by a very, very, slight margin. Rainbow's "Gates Of Babylon" provided that margin.

10cc likes this.
  8. Hoser_Eh

Hoser_Eh

Feb 14, 2015
    Utah
    Nice responses by everyone. I am a huge fan of Black Sabbath for a long time. I have heard some ozzy stuff casually... but recently have been really digging in and studying bobs lines and approach. Id have to vote for bob, you can tell he influenced the blizzard of ozzy band. Kudos to randy for backing off at times too that guy continues to amaze me... gone too soon.

9. Hoser_Eh

Hoser_Eh

Feb 14, 2015
    Utah
    And yes to clarify I was intending heaven and hell/mob rules to be compared to blizzard and dairy if a mad man

Wisebass likes this.
  10. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Great answer. "Heaven and Hell" came out in '80, but was mostly written in '79.

11. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Man, I hate the mix on those two Ozzy records. Are they compressed like mica or what? No dynamic range at all.

Oh, and Daisley I suppose, but really they both have their moments and there is no doubt that Butler's uncontrolled bits on the early stuff are loads of fun.

12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The original mix or the new ones where they replaced the rhythm section?

Fretless1! likes this.
  13. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    I had the "original" American vinyl pressings (not the British ones), and even then it sounded like a brick, and Ozzy especially sounds overprocessed, thin and smeared. I get the impression that everything was recorded as hot as possible and then sewn together without thought to a little definition for each element.

The red zone on the meter is not the "rockin'" area, dammit!

14. Hoser_Eh

Hoser_Eh

Feb 14, 2015
    Utah
    I know the 2011 record day lp says that it's remastered from the original tracks. I wonder if it's any better. I haven't heard either version on vinyl. If I really want to throw a wrench into this thing, I could ask who's lyrics you like better? They had the same exact job there ... take ozzy's melodies and phrasing and make it mean something besides mumbling rubbish.

15. Hoser_Eh

Hoser_Eh

Feb 14, 2015
    Utah
    I've also had an epiphany that daisly sounds like a geezer/chris squire hybrid at times. I haven't heard any of his other work. Did he come from a progressive background?

Loring and RedVee like this.
  16. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi guys:) thought this thread needs some music :hyper::hyper:

Cozy and Bob are hard to beat. Okay :hyper::hyper: it' s not Sabbath neither Ozzzy but it' s a "bunch of legends lineup"

greetings

Wise(b)ass

10cc and SkulliesBass like this.
  17. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would take Dio-era Rainbow over most of the Ozzy-era Sabbath, but that's just my personal taste.

bhunt1, Gluvhand and 10cc like this.
  18. jomack

jomack

Sep 15, 2017
    We saw the Dio era Rainbow in Shreveport at the Hirsch. 78 or 79 i think. Blackmore had the big Marshall Major stacks and Bob too. REO Speedwagon opened the show. Never forgot my ear plugs again. Great show. Best band ive seen live.

10cc likes this.
  19. Great song but Blackmore played bass on this.

Wisebass likes this.
  20. No Prog background at all as far as I know.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021