Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bob G.'s Bass Case

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hdiddy, Mar 18, 2005.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey guys,

Thought I'd throw a comment out there since I hadn't seen anyone make one about them yet. I think Bob G. does it again with his custom bass case. Nice green color, good padding, and my bass looks like it's well armored while inside. Plenty of pockets.

My only beef is that the bow pocket may be a little small, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. It blows away that crappy thin case that came with my Chrissy. The fit is pretty snug with my busetto, so you may consider measuring carefully if you decide to get one. For a budget bass like mine, $125 for a decent case like this is a pretty good deal.

I used to get alot of dings transporting the case around with the thin one I had. Now I bump my bass against things with near-impunity. What a relief not to worry about banging your bridge against a door! :hyper:

Now if I can only find a comfortable strap.... :ninja:

Anyways, thanks Bob!

2. I got my AHBG case just after Christmas, also a green one.
    It's kind of an odd fit on my bass, it's extremely roomy through the neck and pegbox, and a very snug fit across the bottom of the tailpiece. The front panel of the case is cut a little too straight across the bottom of the body, so there's a bit of a gap around the tailpin and it kinda pulls a bit on the ends of the zippers- hope that doesn't become a problem later...

However, I'm still satisfied with it. Well padded, lots of handles and pockets,- it's a lotta case for not much money.

(I'm careful not to bang my bridge against doors inside any case...)

3. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Mines just about snug everywhere and does pull a little bit on the bottom as well.

And no, my intention isn't to run around and bang my bridge on things. It's just that I feel very well protected with this case compared to what I had. I got so many dings because of the old case, had I gotten this one the edges on my top would still be sparkly new. My only worry is the zippers holding out. We'll see.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Bob's case has to be the best buy anyplace. I was so impressed with the case quality (and looks). Unfortunately, it didn't fit my American Standard. Too bad Bob can't get custom sized cases. :crying:

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I commented on mine a few weeks ago- it is really a great case, and I am very happy with it for the $$. Lots fo good handles and nice thick padding, It fits my Engalhardt like a glove.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am using the KIII Symphony case which I bought from Bob before the green ones came out. I have been really happy with it and have probably taken my bass to about 150 gigs in it. There are a couple seams that have opened up I have to get fixed, but it has held up great. Excellent price for a good quality case.

7. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    My Bob Bag *does* fit my American Standard. I just need to lift the bag slightly before zipping around the upper bout.

8. My NS Cleveland also fits in the bag. It is FULL but it will fit. In fact, the first time I put it in the bag, I couldn't completely zip it up. However, after a few off and ons to get the stiffness out, everything worked fine.

9. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I just bought a new mean, green Bob G. bag for my Chrissy Gamba shaped bass. I was concerned about the fit because of the extra wide dimensions at the lower bouts. After a telephone conversation with, I believe, the younger Mr. Gollihur, we decided to give it a go. The bag fits great, and yes it is snug down south but not to put undo tension on the zipper. A great value!

10. This is worth noting. It will probably lose some stiffness over time.
    I hang mine by the pegbox handle when it's not on my bass. It's a better fit and easier to get on and off when it's not bunched and crumpled in the wrong places.

11. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've had my Bob bag on and off quite a few times during the week I've had it. I can feel it's looser now and zipping has gotten easier. I still find lifting the bag just a bit before zipping over the upper bout makes things easier. The bottom zips up easier now, too.

My big hassle is where to hang it when not in use. My house isn't too big and we've just about filled it up :) The old vinyl bag used to easily wad up under a chair.

12. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Me too. I noticed lifting it up on the big zipper side a little while zipping made it alot easiser. When not in use, I just roll it up (kinda like how it was shipped) and stick it behind my ingles stand in the corner where my bass sits. At least the bass hides it.

13. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Well among my problems with my german bow, looks like the bass bag finally can't keep up with the abuse I'm giving it. Seems like if the bass (in bag) is sitting anywhere fairly snug (like in the back of my small compact car), a firm yank will tear some of the stitching that holds the straps and stuff in place. I never had thsi kind of problem with the crappy bass bag that came with my bass. Already I've ripped one of the black side handles out clean in one pull. Last night, I tore some stitching that holds the strap D-Ring. Seems to me that the thread used to sew my bag together is a little too weak for this application. A strong nylon thread would be better. Fortunately, my mom has an alterations shop and has all the heavy sewing machines to put everything back in place. Just be careful with it guys.