Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bob Gollihur's basses????

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dplayers1, Nov 25, 2001.

1. dplayers1

dplayers1

Nov 18, 2001
    Im lookin for info on the carved Romanian basses that Mr Gollihur is selling. Not saying anything bad about him because he was more than helpfull with info but those basses for that low a price seems too good to be true. Also, any info on those Vienna basses from Jim Laabs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dana

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    David K. has a student to whom I sold a Bulgarian bass last year. Perhaps he can give you an honest assessment, privately if that is more comfortable.

3. FWIW, I would not hesitate to buy any product from Bob. If he carries it, it's high-quality (esp. considering his prices).

I've purchased a pickup, a bag, Neutrik connectors, and a Meisel stand from Bob, and have extremely satisfied with alll of them. I think his Romanian basses look fantastic. If I hadn't found my ply Pfretzschner, I would have pursued one.

Bob, you have any el cheapo German bows?

-a

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I have some of the good quality Fiberglas ones, with real horse hair (whomever designed the imitation bow hair should be strung up with a set of Supernyls) in German. Too bad you don't need French, I've found a supplier for small quantities of really nice Brazilwood/Ebony French bows on the cheap.

5. I haven't seen that cat since February or March, so I really have no idea of how the bass broke in. But I'll give my impressions of the bass I had then. Out-of-the-box new, with the factory-supplied soundpost and bridge (that Bob fit), it sounded comparable to a new Strunal plywood (belonging to another of my students) that had been set up by a highly regarded and competent luthier with a good soundpost and bridge that had both been properly fit. If the Bulgarian bass had a good set-up (new and properly fit soundpost and bridge), it would probably sound better than the plywood Strunal I referred to (I think that's a safe assumption). The Bulgarian bass is all solid wood so it will break-in and mature more than plywood (ie. it will continue to get even better sounding.)

I hope that helps.

6. Bassman5150

Bassman5150

Sep 9, 2001
    I have a question...I'm looking for a bass to buy in couple months, but I'm 6' 5" so I have trouble finding a 3/4 bass tall enough for me. Would a 4/4 bass be a good idea?
    Also a question for Bob, how much would one of those carved Bulgarians basses cost for a 4/4 5-string

7. How about a 3/4 with an extended endpin? I see tall bassists with that sort of set up often.

-a, only 6'1"