Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bob G's new website

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Mark Gollihur, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Hey guys, Bob's son Mark here.

As you may know, I joined up with my dad several months ago to help him with "the biz." Lately, one of my main tasks has been to work on the website presence.

I just finished a pretty major overhaul of Bob's site, and if you have a moment or two to cruise by and surf around a little, I'd appreciate any constructive criticism you might offer. If you have some suggestions for improvement, please let me know! Also, if you're using an "alternative" browser and display is a little funky, that'd be really helpful to know.

My main intent was to make the site easier to navigate and a little more consistent from page to page, and yet not reduce the content. Also, Bob liked the overall look of the site, so the hope was to "freshen it up" without totally changing its character.

http://www.urbbob.com or http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass

Oh, and as of right now, it's just the "store" site that's changed - we'll be hopefully working on the links page/luthier directory/etc. soon...

Thanks for the bandwidth!

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Looks good. My only complaint is that the menu is a little slow. Is there a way to shorten the delay between mouse-over and pop-up?

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I found it slow (like everything) at home on dial up, but here at the office, it was lightning fast. I like everything about the site except the background color scheme, which looks "homey", but sort of "old school". Obviously, that's a minor esthetic complaint. :) Good work!

4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I had no problems with the menu loading slowly. Overall I like the site and I must say, I've starting to look into buying a double bass so I think I'll just bookmark you guys for when I get serious.

5. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Hmmm... I dunno, it's pretty close to instant here, on MSIE6. What browser are you using? I can check the Java source code to see if there's a delay...

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Tried Firefox, Opera, IE, and Maxthon (IE Wrapper -- VFC for those of those that arent' aware of it!)

I have cable modem. Download speed isn't the problem I was addressing, but rather how the menu acts:

In Opera, the menu was sluggish as hell until the whole thing is cached.
    Mozilla it was pretty good.
    IE and Maxthon acted sluggish right out of the box. Not that it's unusable, just responds slowly, but the draws are quick once it does.

I'm using a Java-based menu at my site http://www.PaperTheCity.com (uname: test, pword: test) Check that out as far as response.

7. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I've only checked out a couple pages -- design is definitely better. You've improved it, Mark, not to worry. I don't hate the colour, like some might (cough, cough, like DURRRL, cough, cough.)

I'm using Firefox and I must say it does seem to be a slow load, even with my cable-based, "high speed lite" web connection. Haven't checked it after caching. Be nice to get something up on the page right away while things are loading...

8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    The links not working for the "Website re-design Special TBer Limited Time Only Discount Sale" ;)

The menus work fine for me. Layouts on the product index pages look clean. I will probably navigate through them much more than using a fully extended menu. But that may just be my personal preference.

9. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Looks good here and the menus pop up lightening fast. Mozilla on a laptop running RedHat Linux 8 with a T1.

As soon as I find a bass I'm going to be getting with you about a pickup system, bag, bow and possibly some other items. It's a great thing you and Bob are doing for the DB community at large, although I am bummin' on those classifieds a little (but I won't care once I find my bass).

-Scot

10. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
  11. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Nice catch! Fixed that one.

Ray, I checked out your menu - works nice, looks clean - reminds me of the one I used to have on my old band site... the only problem is that it's coded into the page rather than in a master java file; this complicates matters when we make changes to the menu.

It's actually the same script we were using before on the "old" site; I just pulled the graphics from the menu items to save space and load time.

Thanks all for the thoughts, and keep them coming. Especially if you find broken links and such. :)

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    'Tis coded in the page, but this can be overcome in a numberof ways. On my site the menu is database driven and I have .NET/ASP (C#, really) spitting out that menu code. Other ways are frames, iFrames, included pages, etc....

Looks good -- keep it up.

13. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Jeez, Ray....you mean to tell me you're a monster bass player AND a coder? Dangit, I quit. Where's that McDonald's application. :)

-Scot

14. Godammit Ray....You're really gettin' on my nerves! :spit:

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I have many talents, but making money doesn't seem to be one of them :)