Bob Lee of QSC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VicDamone, Aug 10, 2001.

1. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Wanted to take a moment to thank Bob Lee of QSC for responding to and answering questions here at Talk Bass. Your suggestion to crank up the preamp and turn down the amp is well taken (ref. QSC thread below).

As a 2402PLX owner I'm very satisfied with this 21lb unit with the exception of the mechanical Ghost Buster's siren like sound comming from either the fan or the power supply. I'm realy nit picking here. If I had a choice between the noise or an increase in weight, I'll take the noise thank you.

Again thanks for taking the time and thanks to your company for offering an affordable light weight product to all of us roadie challanged players who prefer amp/preamp combos.
  2. As the owner of a 69 pound QSC MX-3000a and a 35 pound RMX-850:

ditto :D

Eventually I'll go with a pair of PLX also.
  3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi Vic, I'm glad to help fellow bass players. Working for a manufacturer like QSC gives me access to a lot of resources for understanding how things work, so I try to share the "under the hood" knowledge with others as much as possible.

The noise from your PLX 2402 is probably the fan (the power supply doesn't make noise). I can't tell from here if your fan noise is abnormal, but I can suggest that one thing that makes fans noisy over time is dust buildup on the blades. It often piles up unevenly, throwing the fan out of balance and causing vibration. And the dust also can break up the smooth surface of the blades, causing a little more turbulence and additional noise.

So maybe first you might try blowing any dust off the fan using compressed air or one of those dust blower cans. If that takes care of it, you're set. If you still have abnormally high noise, maybe there's a mechanical problem with the fan. Sometimes the bearings develop a problem and cause noise. You could also open the bottom cover of the amp and make sure the fan is mounted tightly. If nothing works to your satisfaction, call or e-mail me and we'll see if we can figure something out.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Maybe we should have a "Ask Bob Lee" forum much like the "Ask Jeff Berlin" or "Ask Dan Glenn" forums.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Thats true...amps never get any respect:mad::p
  6. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000

My 2402 is fairly new and I noticed the fan noise from day one. As I said I'm realy nit picking, it's not noticable when I'm playing. In fact the fan in my desk top is louder. But I'll make an effort to check out another PLX to compair.